Rebuild vacuum side of petcock on maxim 400

G-Rand
This post is 5748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks:

New to this forum. Recently picked up a 1983 Maxim 400 in great shape and low miles, mostly for my boys to learn on.

It runs well, but as we're going through it I discovered the petcock was not preventing fuel from flowing when the bike was off. Opening the petcock revealed a failed attempt to use silicone to seal the diaphragms.

I have a petcock rebuild kit, with two diaphragms on the plunger, but I can't make sense of putting it back together because: 1) both diaphragms are next to each other on the plunger and look like they were meant to stay that way, but when I pulled it apart there was a diaphragm on each side of a phenolic spacer. 2) the phenolic spacer has two "pins" on each side of it, but only one side seems to line up appropriately with the vacuum inlet part of the petcock. The other pins don't seem to align anywhere on the petcock side. Any ideas??

I downloaded the xs400 manual, but didn't see anything there. I can't find a diagram or description of the vacuum side of the petcock, only the fuel switch side. Maybe I missed it?

Any help is appreciated!

G-Rand

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...I discovered the petcock was not preventing fuel from flowing when the bike was off...

Yeh, my manual doesn't have a good draw-out of the petcock, either. I just dealt with that yesterday, actually. After stripping the petcock to bits and pieces, it turned out a sliver of something or other got in there behind the diaphragm and prevented the plunger from full seating.

Is that rebuild kit meant for your petcock? If the existing diaphragms, o-ring, etc are in ok shape, see if you could just reuse them. Give 'em a good soak in fresh gas, clean em up, so forth. As for the gasket, any home center should have a wide silicone seal tape you could use to fabricate one yourself. Just cut out a center with an exacto knife, screw together the petcock, and trim off the excess.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online