Newbie! Yamaha Dragstar Question

fabpab
This post is 5831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there!

And i enter!.. i just booked my CBT and am so excited to get riding finally.. I love cruiser style bikes.. I am not into racing .. but love the idea of looking good on the road. ha..

anyway enough of the banter.. i have fallen for the Dragstar.. and am planning to buy one in a month or so, is there any pointers you could give me on what to look out for.. i.e. mileage vs age.. or ware and tare ect.. I am totally new to this and don’t want to spend £1000 - £1500 only to find I have missed something crucial .

Thanks for any help you can give!

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

£1500 is a good price, particularly around this time.

Usually they don't drop below a couple of grand until November-ish.

There's nothing specific to check for, so...

Check there's no excessive rust anywhere. Small spots are not to much of a worry.

Make sure there's no sign of it being dropped or chucked down the road, ie scuffs or cover-ups on the paintwork.

Listen to the engine and try comparing it to the 125 you ride on CBT. If the bike still has standard pipes, it should sound lower and slightly quieter. It won't have that 'grumbling tractor' sound of a Harley, but neither should it sound like a screaming moped.

Be sure there's no knocking, tapping sounds etc.

Also - Get a copy of Bike Trader.

The first few pages give full advice on what to look for when buying 2nd hand.

If buying from a dealer you have better legal support than buying private.

Mileage.... Reckon on 3-4,000 per year, maybe a few hundred less.

Other than that, plus all the Bike Trader advice, be sure you're happy with it. Be sure this one feels like 'The One'.

If at all possible, take a biker friend along to give an objective second opinion. Maybe ask your instructor or join the local MAG group.

Good luck!!!

Arr fantastic! thanks mate..

im looking more forward to it now!! so why do the bike prices drop? is that to do with the winter weather?

ok, so basicly alot of it is common sence.. and buy one thats got milage upto about 20k.. if its a few years old..

i have a bike friend comming with me so that should help!.

Thanks fro the advice.. ill be sure to post pics for you..

£1500 is a good price, particularly around this time.

Usually they don't drop below a couple of grand until November-ish.

There's nothing specific to check for, so...

Check there's no excessive rust anywhere. Small spots are not to much of a worry.

Make sure there's no sign of it being dropped or chucked down the road, ie scuffs or cover-ups on the paintwork.

Listen to the engine and try comparing it to the 125 you ride on CBT. If the bike still has standard pipes, it should sound lower and slightly quieter. It won't have that 'grumbling tractor' sound of a Harley, but neither should it sound like a screaming moped.

Be sure there's no knocking, tapping sounds etc.

Also - Get a copy of Bike Trader.

The first few pages give full advice on what to look for when buying 2nd hand.

If buying from a dealer you have better legal support than buying private.

Mileage.... Reckon on 3-4,000 per year, maybe a few hundred less.

Other than that, plus all the Bike Trader advice, be sure you're happy with it. Be sure this one feels like 'The One'.

If at all possible, take a biker friend along to give an objective second opinion. Maybe ask your instructor or join the local MAG group.

Good luck!!!

im looking more forward to it now!! so why do the bike prices drop? is that to do with the winter weather?

Yep - Posey tossers on shiny Cruisers 'never' ride in bad weather..... so I seem to be the exception. :D

Actually, many bikers only ride during the good weather, so come winter a lot less people buy.

Dealers drop prices in the hopes of selling bikes and bargains can be had.

To be honest, any 125 in good nick will be very fine around 15-20K.

These things are usually good all the way to 70K and beyond. Just make sure they're looked after!

Don't just look in the big publications, either. Search every possible bike sales place, even local ads and Googling. You will find great deals!

Oh, one more thing - Fancy accessories like saddlebags and sissy bars don't add that much value to a bike. Long Tax (even though it's only about £15 for a 125) and MoT are better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online