yb100: rebuild advice

wkelsey_yb100
This post is 5399 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings, and thank you in advance for your input.

I am in Malawi (Africa) staying at a friend's house. Going through his garage I found a dusty 2-stroke Yamaha which I have discovered to be a 1976 YB100 (at least mostly).

I am considering trying to get it running. Is it worth it? Are there any common failing points that I should check out before getting too involved with this project? Getting spares will probably prove quite difficult in Malawi, so I expect I will be doing some improvising.

I have done a little degunking and visual inspection of the outside, nothing looks too far gone. It turns over nicely. Compression test gives about 90 P.S.I.

I have no spark. I also have no battery (but from my reading on this forum, that shouldn't be absolutely necessary). There are some frayed wires (repaired in some cases with bits of plastic bags). Does any one have a wiring diagram they could send me? Or a description of the bare necessities for wiring to get spark? In fact, any documentation, specs, or diagrams would be immensely appreciated.

Cheers. wkelsey[a]gmail.com

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum, Its a simple bike so shouldnt be too difficult, But youre going to need a manual at least Here

This one will post worldwide. The problem might be if you need to buy things, You will know more about that than us though, If you do decide to have a go, people on this forum will help if they can with advice. Good luck if you go for it.

• 1 year later...

Hi my name is Tony I have owned my '79 YB 100 for over 10 years. Its the first bike I learnt to ride and been my only bike since. I too am trying to get mine running again after sitting outside for 5 years, it was seized but not any more, I got it to run this morning but it revved off it's nut. I have changed things like the idle screw and throttle tension to try and lower the revs but now its not running at all, and I have reset things I changed back to around where they were. I have no settings for any thing and if someone could email them to me it would be appreciated! :D Email: [email protected]

Hi my name is Tony I have owned my '79 YB 100 for over 10 years. Its the first bike I learnt to ride and been my only bike since. I too am trying to get mine running again after sitting outside for 5 years, it was seized but not any more, I got it to run this morning but it revved off it's nut. I have changed things like the idle screw and throttle tension to try and lower the revs but now its not running at all, and I have reset things I changed back to around where they were. I have no settings for any thing and if someone could email them to me it would be appreciated! :D Email: [email protected]

If it's revving to red line without any throttle input, then you have an air leak somewhere. Could be crank seals, head gasket, base gasket or a leak in the carb.

If it's revving to red line without any throttle input, then you have an air leak somewhere. Could be crank seals, head gasket, base gasket or a leak in the carb.

Thanks for replying so quick. I didn't even think of that though I have ordered a new head gasket already, just waiting for it to turn up. If that doesn't work i'll try the others. Thanks again for your advise much appreciated. :D

Thanks for replying so quick. I didn't even think of that though I have ordered a new head gasket already, just waiting for it to turn up. If that doesn't work i'll try the others. Thanks again for your advise much appreciated. :D

If that doesn't solve your problem, I'd suspect the crank seals...especially if the bike hasn't been run for a long time.

What tends to happen is that they harden up with age and don't seal as well. When someone takes a bike out with hardened crank seals and attempts to start it, they can tear, creating the problem you describe.

There are two seals, one on the magneto side, and one on the clutch side. You'll know if the clutch side one is bad if you see a ton of white smoke, otherwise assume it's the magneto side (or better yet not assume and replace both of them :D ).

Just so you know, a good way to check for leaks is to get the motor running and spray WD-40 wherever there is a gasket. You'll see bubbles if there is a leak.

How ya going? Done a compression test and came out with 105 PSI, have got spark, sprayed engine with WD-40 and turned it over quite a few times and no leaks that I can see. No smoke comes from anywhere at all. In high school I had to pull apart and fix a 2 stroke lawn mower, I replaced rings and afew other things and it went first go and it ran for a little while then stopped and wouldn't go again. After pulling it apart again I found I had somehow bent the crankshaft. Could something like this happen to the bike because it should run as far as I know and it did but it doesn't now. Tony :huh:

How ya going? Done a compression test and came out with 105 PSI, have got spark, sprayed engine with WD-40 and turned it over quite a few times and no leaks that I can see. No smoke comes from anywhere at all. In high school I had to pull apart and fix a 2 stroke lawn mower, I replaced rings and afew other things and it went first go and it ran for a little while then stopped and wouldn't go again. After pulling it apart again I found I had somehow bent the crankshaft. Could something like this happen to the bike because it should run as far as I know and it did but it doesn't now. Tony :huh:

Either the crank was bent before, or something was not put together right. If you split the cases and weren't careful, that would explain the bent crank. Do you have pictures?

A bent crank is a difficult fix...and the bike won't run at all like that.

Either the crank was bent before, or something was not put together right. If you split the cases and weren't careful, that would explain the bent crank. Do you have pictures?

A bent crank is a difficult fix...and the bike won't run at all like that.

Unless it was bent before which im pretty sure it wasnt and I didnt actually pull the case apart, just the cover off the side. and no pics to show sorry.

Unless it was bent before which im pretty sure it wasnt and I didnt actually pull the case apart, just the cover off the side. and no pics to show sorry.

I'm stumped! Not usual for a crank to just bend like that. Maybe someone has some insight?

After pulling it apart again I found I had somehow bent the crankshaft. Could something like this happen to the bike because it should run as far as I know and it did but it doesn't now. Tony :huh:

Why do you say this...what have you seem? Instructions for posting pics are in the FAQ's section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, forget the bent crank, that was just what happened to the last 2 stroke engine I pulled apart. I have managed to get it running, It was the round seals inside the crank case had popped out, had to get bike mechanic to work it out but its all good now and im cheering! Thanks for all your advise and help, hope I dont need to much more in the future!

Sincerely, Tony :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online