fuse problem

bmiracle2
This post is 5655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an xs 400 and popped the seat off and noticed the fuse and the far side was all black and had melted the plastic holder around the fuse. I replaced the fuse about 2 months ago, and I know it is the fuse that the ignition runs through. so I turned on the ignition and within a few seconds the metal casing for the fuse was hot to the touch. what does this mean and what is a possible cause???? also if anyone knows what is for sure the proper fuse for that, so I can check to make sure that I got the same one when I replaced it. pretty sure I did but it never hurts to check!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have an xs 400 and popped the seat off and noticed the fuse and the far side was all black and had melted the plastic holder around the fuse. I replaced the fuse about 2 months ago, and I know it is the fuse that the ignition runs through. so I turned on the ignition and within a few seconds the metal casing for the fuse was hot to the touch. what does this mean and what is a possible cause???? also if anyone knows what is for sure the proper fuse for that, so I can check to make sure that I got the same one when I replaced it. pretty sure I did but it never hurts to check!!

On the 1980 there are 4 fuses. The main is 30 Amp and the rest are 10. I replace the fuse box on mine with an aftermarket that uses modern style blade fuses. Works well and I have 2 extra circuits if for some reason I really WANTED to run the battery dead all the time by adding load. :lol:

You can get an after market holder that works well with just alittle modifing from Advance Autoparts Store if you live in the states.

Seems like there could be a short in that circuit near the fuse, the short is getting the surrounding area hot enough to melt the plastic.

I agree with the others that you should just update the fuse box.

More likely is that the connections got corroded and the heat melted things (from the arcing caused by the corrosion). Yes replacing the fuse box is the bast option, and may as well go for modern blade fuses in the process.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online