xs400 tachometer cable lubrication

asier
This post is 5838 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

today my bike started doing some noise when running slow and turning the front fork. I went down to the tachometer cable.

I mechanical I've consulted told me the tachometer needs lube. Can you give me any advise in doing so? (XS400 12E)

It doesn't seem difficult but I'd like to do it right.

By the way, the only oil I've got is mineral 20w50, will that be enough for now. (I'll by a different one for the next time if needed).

Thanks a lot,

Asier

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

today my bike started doing some noise when running slow and turning the front fork. I went down to the tachometer cable.

I mechanical I've consulted told me the tachometer needs lube. Can you give me any advise in doing so? (XS400 12E)

It doesn't seem difficult but I'd like to do it right.

By the way, the only oil I've got is mineral 20w50, will that be enough for now. (I'll by a different one for the next time if needed).

Thanks a lot,

Asier

Why not remove the cable from the bike then remove the inner wire from the outer case run WD40 thro the outer (watch the rust run out) and wipe the inner with motor oil (20/50), not too much as that cable does spin at a fair rate and too much may 'slow it down' and cause it to break. Failing that buy a new cable

regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online