clutch going...going...gone?

2enjoi2
This post is 5699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im fairly new to riding. ive had one bike before my present r6, it was a honda cbr and i never had any trouble pulling away or slow speed control. however on my r6 my clutch feels,, wrong? it only comes into action about 1 cm before its end. and ive tried adjusting it by the adjuster right of the handle. but no sucsess. i find its just not enough play to pull away smoothly. its either all on or all off.

is it the way they are and just me? my friends gixer has about an inch and a half of play and i can ride it much more efortlessly.

any help welcome as a new clutch is about 200 quid including laybour...trying to avoid it if possible lol

cheers

david

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The adjuster at the bars is only realy for fine control there should be another adjuster at the gearbox, this has far more effect on things and it sounds like that may help a little.

To be honest i think you are just not riding the r6 like an r6 ( i know it sounds daft). Your old cbr will have far more torque relatively speaking and a far shorter 1st gear than the r6, so to pull off smoothly you need to give the yam more revs. It wont hurt it, i suppose its the price you pay for an engine that revs so hard so high....

Yup, you should try the adjuster screw at the gearbox. Back out the nut, and advance the screw (if it needs advancing) till you feel resistance, then back it back out a turn. Retighten the nut, and then fine-tune the cable at the handle as you were doing before.

With that said, I've got a similar scenario with my clutch, even after adjusting it at the gearbox. It's not jerky nor any slippage, but the clutch engages only within the last few hairs of the pulled lever. I figure my clutch is probably circling the drain...it's on the winter project list.

It's not jerky nor any slippage, but the clutch engages only within the last few hairs of the pulled lever. I figure my clutch is probably circling the drain...it's on the winter project list.

With the right tools, you could have that job done in under an hour........most Clutches are a piece of cake! :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online