Strange noise from chain(?)

nio
This post is 5847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there!

I have a YBR125 (2007) and the last 5-10 days I hear a strange noise from the chain (near the drive axle)

I'm not sure if it is the chain or if it is the drive axle (bearings ???)

The sound is not constant. It is somehow periodical and I have about 15.000KM on the clock.

How will I know if the chain is about to be changed ?

Has anyone ever faced a similar problem ? I had the opinion that Yamahas are buletproof. Should i begin to worry ??? :(

Sorry about my mistakes...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there!

I have a YBR125 (2007) and the last 5-10 days I hear a strange noise from the chain (near the drive axle)

I'm not sure if it is the chain or if it is the drive axle (bearings ???)

The sound is not constant. It is somehow periodical and I have about 15.000KM on the clock.

How will I know if the chain is about to be changed ?

Because you've asked someone to change it :rolleyes:

I guess you mean "is ready to be changed". You'd know because your sprockets would be visually worn and the chain is tensioned quite far back in the adjusters. Obviously it is your chain, we don't know if you oil it regularly or what maintenance you do to your bike. You can't buy it and just ride it only filling up with fuel between services. If you're not sure what it is, as it's a 2007 bike it's still under warrenty so take it to your dealer to have a look they shouldn't charge, but if it is the chain that's knackered then that's not covered by the warrenty.

Has anyone ever faced a similar problem ? I had the opinion that Yamahas are buletproof. Should i begin to worry ??? :(

Sorry about my mistakes...

Thnx for the "speedy" reply.

I lubricate the chain regularly. I have the chain tensioned only once. The adjusters are not far out. The chain and sprockets are in good condition. The chain's slack is small.

Believe me, I don't just "fill up with fuel".

The noise is audible even when turning the rear wheel with the hand.

For my bad luck the waranty for this bike in Greece is 12months...

Guest Exupnutta

Check the sprocket nuts are tight.

It sounds to me like the chain may be too tight?

To check the chain tension you MUST rotate the rear wheel and keep checking. There WILL be a tight spot!

To check the chain links you must move the chain side to side. If there is movement, I would replace chain and sprockets.

HTH

Olli

Didn't want to assume you only filled up with fuel but I know so many teenagers with 125's that beleive that's all they need to do.

If all looks good I'd agree with exupnutta that you have a tight link and then chain is a little on the tight side so you can hear it when that link goes over the sprockets.

Spin the wheel and test the chain for slack every few inches you'll probably find part way round it goes really tight. if so the stiff link is on the sprocket (probably the front as it has a tighter radius). Loosen the rear wheel and check the links then just mving them by hand until you get to the tight link. See if you can loosen it up a bit by hand, bend it as far as it will go in each direction (it may be useful to slip the chain off the rear sprocket to do that. Check for any more tight links and then tension the rear wheel when the chain when it's least slack.

my old bike chain had a funny noise comming from it.....although it was wrapped round the wifes neck at the time and had some very tight links in it :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online