1978 DT175 PLEASE HELP!!

steeda30
This post is 5838 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So about 6 months ago i bought a 1978 dt175 and fixed it up a bit and has been running pretty good. I go to take it for a ride the other day and its running terrible for about ten minutes then dies and wouldnt start again. the only way it would stay running for a bit was with the choke in. I took apart the carb it seemed fine, checked fuel line, it was gettin fuel, checked spark and bought a new plug, fine, and still wont run. i kicked it probably 100 times with no start up and a weird sounding fart noiseoutta the exhaust about every ten kicks. What do i do?

also it appears to have some soft of fluid wetness where the head meets the block. could this have something to do with it? thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So about 6 months ago i bought a 1978 dt175 and fixed it up a bit and has been running pretty good. I go to take it for a ride the other day and its running terrible for about ten minutes then dies and wouldnt start again. the only way it would stay running for a bit was with the choke in. I took apart the carb it seemed fine, checked fuel line, it was gettin fuel, checked spark and bought a new plug, fine, and still wont run. i kicked it probably 100 times with no start up and a weird sounding fart noiseoutta the exhaust about every ten kicks. What do i do?

also it appears to have some soft of fluid wetness where the head meets the block. could this have something to do with it? thanks

Can be difficult to get to the bottom of these problems, But to make a start..have you ridden through much rain or puddles etc, seems rather sudden. I think you should remove the generator cover because thats where the CDI coils live, see if its wet inside the case and spray throgh the flywheel slots with WD40 then try again

Did you check the pilot jet was not blocked, Can you see daylight through it? is the plug wet?

kind of a noob when it come to that so not sure what to do

The pilot jet is item 2 Here You need to unscrew it from the carb body and confirm it isnt blocked, This jet is the one used to start the engine, as well as part throttle opening, If you hold it up to the light you should see a hole through it (not blocked), use a magnifying glass if necessary

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online