SR125 Timing chain problems

Derek Herbert
This post is 5666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I am new to Yamaha owners club and I have just picked up a 97 SR125 (24k on clock) and the engine is a little noisy. I adjusted the tappets which took care of part of the noise and the engine started to sound better. I then adjusted the timing chain tensioner by screwing in the adjuster until the adjuster piston is flush with the top of the adjuster nut (as per mister Haynes).

Q1. Should I have adjusted the timing chain first then the tappets?

Q2. The problem is that the adjuster nut had to be screwed in so far that there are not enough threads for the adjuster cap to fit onto (normally the adjuster nut would have 4 or 5 threads showing to fit the cap onto). This probably means the timing chain has stretched or the timing chain guides are worn (maybe a mixture of both) does the chain and follower require a change at set intervals?

Q3. Is there an easy way to change the chain and guides as it looks like I need to do a major strip just to remove the chain guides?

Q4. I have found the timing chain easily enough on-line but I am having a great deal of trouble getting the timing chain followers (one each side of Exhaust and Intake). Does anybody know where I can get a hold of the followers on-line?

Loads of questions but I really really love this little bike and want to give it a some TLC and get it sounding as it should. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome DereK

Hi, I am new to Yamaha owners club and I have just picked up a 97 SR125 (24k on clock) and the engine is a little noisy. I adjusted the tappets which took care of part of the noise and the engine started to sound better. I then adjusted the timing chain tensioner by screwing in the adjuster until the adjuster piston is flush with the top of the adjuster nut (as per mister Haynes).

Q1. Should I have adjusted the timing chain first then the tappets? You say you have found a chain on line, you should fit it and then adjust the tappets, If the adjustment refers to marks on the flywheel and the chain is worn, then the camshaft will not quite be in the right place, If you get my drift.

Q2. The problem is that the adjuster nut had to be screwed in so far that there are not enough threads for the adjuster cap to fit onto (normally the adjuster nut would have 4 or 5 threads showing to fit the cap onto). This probably means the timing chain has stretched or the timing chain guides are worn (maybe a mixture of both) does the chain and follower require a change at set intervals? Quite possibly they both need replacing, but if you do the easy one first (Chain) then you suspicions about the tensioner will be confirmed then, You will need to back off the tensioner when changing the chain, then re set it

Q3. Is there an easy way to change the chain and guides as it looks like I need to do a major strip just to remove the chain guides? Guides might be a big job but i would think you could pull the new chain in using the old chain, Your Haynes should tell you anyway

Q4. I have found the timing chain easily enough on-line but I am having a great deal of trouble getting the timing chain followers (one each side of Exhaust and Intake). Does anybody know where I can get a hold of the followers on-line? The bike is only just over 10 years old, yamaha will no doubt still supply them, go to a dealer who can be bothered to supply

Loads of questions but I really really love this little bike and want to give it a some TLC and get it sounding as it should. Any help will be greatly appreciated.