XVS 650 Dragstar clutch won't disengage

ian55
This post is 5762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm having a problem with my 1996 650 Dragstar.

It's been sitting for several months for reasons I won't go into.

I started it up today to go for a spin...

Starts ok (in Neutral) as soon as I kick in 1st with the clutch lever pulled in the bike stalls.

Trying to push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in is damn near impossible.

Obviously the clutch is not disengaging for some reason.

I've checked the cable and the external lever on the clutch moves ok so clearly somethings gone on inside, probably because I've not been using it.

I could really do with a clue on how to free it up, if only to save me the recovery charges to get it somewhere and have it sorted.

I am pretty mechanically minded, but have no experience on bikes, but given a clue, I'd take a go!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Ian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Ian, Yes Its stuck due to lack of use, I recommend you start it up and let it run, Get the motor really nice and hot, This will thin the oil down, When its hot keep pulling in the clutch lever and blipping the throttle, Crossed fingers this mught free it :thumb:

If this doesnt work re try the rocking back and forth in 4th gear with lever pulled in, but this time with hot engine.

If its anywhere near due an oil change it would be wise to do it sooner rather than later if its been stood,

Hi Ian, Yes Its stuck due to lack of use, I recommend you start it up and let it run, Get the motor really nice and hot, This will thin the oil down, When its hot keep pulling in the clutch lever and blipping the throttle, Crossed fingers this mught free it :thumb:

If its anywhere near due an oil change it would be wise to do it sooner rather than later if its been stood,

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

Might as well change the oil anyway. She'll love you for it.

Give everything a good clean out and scrub up.

Make it shine!!!!!!!

Might as well change the oil anyway. She'll love you for it.

Give everything a good clean out and scrub up.

Make it shine!!!!!!!

Warmed it up good and free'd it up by yanking the lever a while!

And the sun's still shining!

Gave her a good polish too.

Thanks guys

Ian