Want to uprate Thundercat YZF600R... how? where?

Yakamoto
This post is 5052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all just registered...

I have had my Thuncercat for about 8 years now, its a super bike that just runs and runs without much care given to it at all!

I am now worrying everytime i go for a long journey about the odd ticking or the weird twitch or whatever charactoristic it has on that day....

So the options are:

1. go to the darkside and get a 05\06 plate err other model....

OR

2. uprate the CAT!

I know where its been, afterwards it'd be like a new bike, be a lot cheaper for custom parts that i may well change on a new bike anyway!

Heres the thinking:

Overhaul the engine to include gasflow, shims, tappets, new diaphrams etc

Source some aftermarket USD forks FROM WHERE?????

Ohlins the USD forks and rear shock.

source aftermarket swingarm with better chain adjusters FROM WHERE???

Mat black powdercoat the frame and swingarm

new braided hoses

new rearsets and pegs

New fairings and paintjob Not sure what colour..thinking Burgandy, Orange or Yellow..? wheels??

Dynajet, K&N and possibly a power commander.

New double bubble and adjustable levers...

and whatever else i think!

So 4.5k - 5k for a newbie or prob about 2-3k for a unique custom...?

SO ANY HELP ON WHERE TO SOURCE THE BITS? MAINLY THE SWINGARM AND USD FORKS.. AFTERMARKET OR FROM ANOTHER MODEL IE YZF750???

cheers for any sugestions.

Yakamoto.....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all just registered...

I have had my Thuncercat for about 8 years now, its a super bike that just runs and runs without much care given to it at all!

I am now worrying everytime i go for a long journey about the odd ticking or the weird twitch or whatever charactoristic it has on that day....

So the options are:

1. go to the darkside and get a 05\06 plate err other model....

OR

2. uprate the CAT!

I know where its been, afterwards it'd be like a new bike, be a lot cheaper for custom parts that i may well change on a new bike anyway!

Heres the thinking:

Overhaul the engine to include gasflow, shims, tappets, new diaphrams etc

Source some aftermarket USD forks FROM WHERE????? Not sure on this but would be suprised if you cant fit 05 onwards forks (maybe with a bit of modification).

Ohlins the USD forks and rear shock.

source aftermarket swingarm with better chain adjusters FROM WHERE??? Metmachex use to make a nice one for the Cat.

Mat black powdercoat the frame and swingarm

new braided hoses

new rearsets and pegs

New fairings and paintjob Not sure what colour..thinking Burgandy, Orange or Yellow..? wheels??

Dynajet, K&N and possibly a power commander.

New double bubble and adjustable levers...

and whatever else i think!

So 4.5k - 5k for a newbie or prob about 2-3k for a unique custom...?

SO ANY HELP ON WHERE TO SOURCE THE BITS? MAINLY THE SWINGARM AND USD FORKS.. AFTERMARKET OR FROM ANOTHER MODEL IE YZF750???

cheers for any sugestions.

Yakamoto.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Exupnutta

The YZF 750 is compatible with the FZR1000 EXUP.. The 600 is possibly to narrow?

I have some FZR1000 swingarms HERE

Please be aware that if you are using a different swingarm, you will need the rear wheel and brake setup to suit. ;)

Happy to measure things for you and swingarms CAN be trimmed. That's how I built my bike (see link below)... The swingarm was too wide to sit in the frame, so the ends were trimmed and it fits perfectly now :)

Feel free to ring me :)

Hi Chris,

Take a tape measure to a breakers and start measuring up a YZF750 or an R6 for forks and swing arm.

Hi to you as well ..... I was ansswering not asking though ! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well guys i can't believe it was back in 2008 that I first posted this!!! and the Thundercat has only just started its transformation.

Thats what a new baby boy will do for you.

I have now stripped the bike down to it's finer components...

cleaned up the frame and swingarm

sourced bearings direct from manufacturers (much cheapness)

got a noise maker, pager, remote alarm

fairing off to Scotland for plastic welding

not replacing shocks just yet, next project just seal and oil etc..

decided between my brother and I to set up our our powdercoating equipment... make a big oven to take frame too (could use IR heat lamps)

all wiring being checked, repaiered and modified for 12v sockets and the like for gps\mobile

Autocom staying as I couldnt find a decent Bluetooth helmet to do all I want (unless I use the Bluevirtu module which I do like but means my bro and I cannot swap bikes and still chat)

bolts on order for fairing and engine

braided hoses being done by Pirtek

new tyres, pads, chain and sprockets ready

got to see the money before I dynojet and powercommand it (of course it would then require a rolling road tune session)

Engine work TBA, gonna get the rest all in place and coated then start checking clearances, tensioners etc...

also query new rearsets, just get new pegs? seems a silly price the fancy sets for what?

anyways, I have blathered on a bit... i'll take some photos and update as I go.

cheers

Yakamoto

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online