XS400 12E windscreen and power

asier
This post is 5745 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

This is my very fist post here but I've been reading you for a while, so hello!

I've just bought (two weeks ago) my first bike, a 1987 Yamaha XS400 12E, and I'm certainly happy with it. I'm doing minor tunning to ensure safety (tyres, brakes...), but the bike runs quite smoothly.

I'm now planning my first addition: a windscreen, but it's being quite a pain finding one that fits this model's square headlight :(

Did anyone here manage to find one? or did you manage to adapt one?

On other subject, it happens that the technical (legal) information coming with the bike doesn't reflect the real power, and being the XS400 a model with different versions rated at 27, 38 and 45 hp, I'm unable to guess which one is mine. An expert driver would probably know it on his first ride, but I've only ridden 250cc bikes at 21hp at most, so anything above that is better.

I was told it's the 45hp version, but I've found it doesn't have the turn cancellation device this bikes used to have, so I'm starting to think it may be a cheaper version sold at Germany that could be limited to 27hp.

Any suggestion on discovering the real power of my bike (other than a power measurement bank)?

Thanks all in advance,

Asier.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As for a windscreen, I used a universal wind shield I bought off ebay. It is from a Canadian Manufacturer Road Krome and actually fits nicely on the 12E around the square headlight, since its cut-out is more square then round (search ebay and you should find a listing, I got the tinted one and it looks good, here's an id # for ebay =320303137817). Then it attaches to the handlebars, and can be quickly removed as well.

Find it works well when your travelling faster on the highway (+120km keeps all the wind speed off your chest, makes for an enjoyable ride at speed), but for regular riding >=100km, I prefer no screen, less wind buffeting around your helmet caused by the screen at lower speeds, but its a great option to have.

As for figuring out power? mine is the 45hp version, and in 6th gear at 4000rpm I'm at 100km/h, passenger weight of about 200lbs, if that helps.

Cheers,