Rectifier\Regulator

Bobsid
This post is 5850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a XVS 125 and I'm having problems with the electrics, the other week it fried the battery which has now been replaced and the voltage output from the alternator to the batttery on tick over in put out just over 14v rising to 19 when reving up.

this leads me to believe the rectifier to be shot. but due to the high price of the unit for this model of bike I'd be a bit miffed if I baught a new one and found that the regulator wasn't the problem.

Is there anyway of checking the reg unit using a multi meter before I lash out for a new one.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi I have a XVS 125 and I'm having problems with the electrics, the other week it fried the battery which has now been replaced and the voltage output from the alternator to the batttery on tick over in put out just over 14v rising to 19 when reving up.

this leads me to believe the rectifier to be shot. but due to the high price of the unit for this model of bike I'd be a bit miffed if I baught a new one and found that the regulator wasn't the problem.

Is there anyway of checking the reg unit using a multi meter before I lash out for a new one.

There may well be Bob but youre gonna need a Haynes manual, or get someone on here who has a manual to scan you the relevant page, I would start with PM ing Markyboy27, Hes into the mechanics of little dragstar and might have a manual.

Personally I would be happy at the results of the multi meter test at the battery...Thats way way too high yes!, Looking for something like 14v when revved as i said earlier, Maybe you repair your regulater, dont be hasty to throw it away until youve seen the manual

Hi there,

the unit should have a red, a black & 3 white wires comming out of it

check between the whites should be zero

then do Red to whites for conituity in one direction only i.e needle swing in one direction and not the other

then do Black to whites (same applies)

Also check for broken wires from the unit

Check the rotor windings also as I have been out of the trade since 1990 I'm unsure what the read outs from there would be.

Regards Jim

There may well be Bob but youre gonna need a Haynes manual, or get someone on here who has a manual to scan you the relevant page, I would start with PM ing Markyboy27, Hes into the mechanics of little dragstar and might have a manual.

Personally I would be happy at the results of the multi meter test at the battery...Thats way way too high yes!, Looking for something like 14v when revved as i said earlier, Maybe you repair your regulater, dont be hasty to throw it away until youve seen the manual

Yes I agree 19v is far to high and on hind sight it has to be the regulater I can't see it being anything else looks like i'll hae to buy a new one as it's a sealed unit and I can't see any way of repairing it.

It just seems stange though that it's not blowing any of the bulbs as you would expect a surge of 19v to do.

Yes I agree 19v is far to high and on hind sight it has to be the regulater I can't see it being anything else looks like i'll hae to buy a new one as it's a sealed unit and I can't see any way of repairing it.

It just seems stange though that it's not blowing any of the bulbs as you would expect a surge of 19v to do.

test it first !

Hi there,

the unit should have a red, a black & 3 white wires comming out of it

check between the whites should be zero

then do Red to whites for conituity in one direction only i.e needle swing in one direction and not the other

then do Black to whites (same applies)

Also check for broken wires from the unit

Check the rotor windings also as I have been out of the trade since 1990 I'm unsure what the read outs from there would be.

Regards Jim

Hi Jim and thanks

I'v already tried checking It for conituity and thats the problem there seems to be to much of it allowing 19v through and not enough resistance keping it down to 14v max as I've said to Oldgitonabike it's a sealed unit and cant be repaired anyway so I've come to the conclusion that it must be the regulater that needs replacing can't see any other reason causing the fault and as Oldgitonabike pointed out to do a proper multi test I'd need a workshop manual charting the correct output in ohms for each wire which after all that messing about it would only confirm what I already thaught and that is tha i'ts probibly burnt the diode out inside as a result of cramming my waterproofs into the toolbox smothering the cooling fins on it and causing it to overheat or its just died of natural causes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online