xvs 650 drive shaft

mil278
This post is 5692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there, has anyone had trouble with the drive shaft on their xvs650. Mine sheared at the input to the drive hub and has stripped the splines inside the shaft. Been quoted £900 for a new one. Wouldn't mind but have only done 14000miles and bike is only 6 years old.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Problem is what caused it to shear? Something must have locked up to shock load it that much. What other damage is there?

Dont know what caused it to shear. Just lost all drive on the motorway. checked out the bike and shaft was turning and no drive to wheels. No other damage as far as I am aware.

Stripped down final drive and have found no problems in there. Put drive shaft into gearbox output and gearbox is locking up in all gears and free wheeling in neutral. Just trying to source a new drive.

• 2 months later...

Stripped down final drive and have found no problems in there. Put drive shaft into gearbox output and gearbox is locking up in all gears and free wheeling in neutral. Just trying to source a new drive.

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

It looks like I may of had the same thing happen to me this morning....!

I have not stripped it down yet, but when in gear the output shaft spins fine. Also if I pull the shaft backwards slightly (2 maybe 3mm) it re-engages with the final drive...Time will tell.....

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

I do know of some people who have had problems - Search will chuck up the threads.

This may sound silly, but do you have enough oil in both the sump and final drive?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

I do know of some people who have had problems - Search will chuck up the threads.

This may sound silly, but do you have enough oil in both the sump and final drive?

Found my problem!!!

Sump was at the right level as was the final drive BUT....

The Drive shaft connects to the final drive unit (inside the cone shaped housing) via a course spline - this spline was dry (looks like it was asssembled dry from new..) and has worn to the point of failure....

Only had the bike a couple of months so I shall be on the phone to the dealer in the morning....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online