Pilot Jet

gaz2909
This post is 5850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Can someone please tell me if there is a small hole through the pilot jet I have removed them from the carbs of an 89 XJ600 they all seem very solid so not sure if there is a hole or not. The bike has been standing for 5 years and although I have managed to get it started it is only firing on 2 unless I spray petrol into the air intake when the bike picks up ok.

All help gratefully received

Thanks Gary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

there should be a small hole through the centra of the pilot jet just like in the main jet (albeit the pilot jet will be smaller)

My DT50MX, for example, has a stock .84 main jet and a .54 pilot jet

Yes there is, if you get a good magnifying glass you may see it, but it might be blocked up, get some carb cleaner and have a poke about with something like a toothbrush bristle for example, you might get it clear. The carbs could do with a good clean anyway after 5 years, youre lucky to get it running in the first place. Dont forget to use the PRIME position to fill the carbs initially

Yes there is, if you get a good magnifying glass you may see it, but it might be blocked up, get some carb cleaner and have a poke about with something like a toothbrush bristle for example, you might get it clear. The carbs could do with a good clean anyway after 5 years, youre lucky to get it running in the first place. Dont forget to use the PRIME position to fill the carbs initially

Thanks for that do you think that these jets being blocked would be enough to restrict the fuel to stop all the cylinders from firing?

You are confusing me now, you said it runs on two, but when you spray fuel into the others it picks up!

Thats correct I was just asking if the blocked pilot jets would cause this I was thinking that by spraying petrol into the air intake, like you do easy start, this might bypass the pilot jets or do you think I need to look deeper into the carburetors.

Thanks

Thats correct I was just asking if the blocked pilot jets would cause this I was thinking that by spraying petrol into the air intake, like you do easy start, this might bypass the pilot jets or do you think I need to look deeper into the carburetors.

Thanks

No thats exactly what youre doing, bypassing the jets, you need to soak them in carb cleaner, Ultrasonic jewellery cleaners are good too if you happen to have one, ..cant be much wrong if it runs!

Just a thought, If its running on two and the other two have blocked jets, Then if you rev it up and give it some throttle, Then the other (Blocked) carbs should come into play throgh the main jets, this is because of the increased air flow through the carbs at the higher revs, you will feel the exhausts warm up and will run smooth...This will confirm the starter circuit problem

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online