XS Wheel compatibility?

81xs400UK
This post is 5669 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Would like to lose my mag wheels in favor for spoked wheels. Does any one know if I can run any XS wheels or if I am limited to XS 400 wheels only? What are the considerations I need to learn? in any event, any idea where I can score some?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't know for sure, but it is likely any XS wheel would fit. There are a lot of parts that all XS's shared. You may have to alter the spacer and of course you will need a brake stay for the hub. You can likely bolt it to the boss on the caliper hanger. You need a lever and cable also. Try offering a trade on this forum.

Pretty sure the XS650 bits are a straight swap.......

a dual disc set-up off an XS11, I've also seen done. ;)

Thanks for the advice! The 400 has a single disk and a rear drum. I will look into trades thanks. Anymore detailed info is still welcome.

Thanks for the advice! The 400 has a single disk and a rear drum. I will look into trades thanks. Anymore detailed info is still welcome.

Hi There,

XS250C rear wheel would fit straight in but the 250c had a drum front brake so you would not get a match to the front (250C had an odd lacing pattern to the wheels but looked cool). I cannot remember how man spokes where in a 250C wheel but you may find the '77 hub (disc type ) may fit with the 250C Rim. As the XS250C was as rare as rocking horse mess, you may have a problem getting the bits ! :angry:

Regards Jim

The problem your likely to run into is that the spoke wheels typically are drum brake where the alloy are disk. You will need to change the forks and all the front brake hardware for that change. There are xs400 models with spoke wheels (such as the 1980 xs400g) but you will need to change over multiple parts to get there. I have seen front and rear xs400 spoked wheels on ebay quite often.

The problem your likely to run into is that the spoke wheels typically are drum brake where the alloy are disk. You will need to change the forks and all the front brake hardware for that change. There are xs400 models with spoke wheels (such as the 1980 xs400g) but you will need to change over multiple parts to get there. I have seen front and rear xs400 spoked wheels on ebay quite often.

Hi, I am answering this from my works comp (naughty, naughty)

I have spoke front and rear fitted by myself last year. the hubs are from an xs250 (uk) and are disks front and rear in fact i have the xs1100 setup on the front (god help xs1100 owners coz they aren't super brilliant although I can just lock up the front tyre on a 380lb bike, never mind a 600lb 1100!)

don't expect a quick responce from me as my home pc is currently full of viruses.

Hi, I am answering this from my works comp (naughty, naughty)

I have spoke front and rear fitted by myself last year. the hubs are from an xs250 (uk) and are disks front and rear in fact i have the xs1100 setup on the front (god help xs1100 owners coz they aren't super brilliant although I can just lock up the front tyre on a 380lb bike, never mind a 600lb 1100!)

don't expect a quick responce from me as my home pc is currently full of viruses.

Do you have a description/guide on how to do this swap? I would myself be interested in doing the swap on mine, I already have spoke wheels but with the horrible horrible drum brakes, if I knew what parts I needed I could start getting the parts together to maybe do the changeover next spring or so.

I would love to have an alloy rear wheel, I'll trade you my spoked one if you are interested. Let me know!

Do you have a description/guide on how to do this swap? I would myself be interested in doing the swap on mine, I already have spoke wheels but with the horrible horrible drum brakes, if I knew what parts I needed I could start getting the parts together to maybe do the changeover next spring or so.

you need the following;

1) xs250 wire/disk front end, there is already taps and drillings for a second disk as standard on all xs400/250 wheels

2) Sr500 carrier and caliper ( is marked L on carrier)

3) xs1100 or twin disk xs750/850 master cylinder

4) twin stainless hoses with dual banjo at master cylinder

rear

1) swing arm for disk model

2) xs250 disk wire wheel and spacers

sell your drum stuff to cafe racers as it has the "period" look

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online