Newbie with a Vintage DT1CM Question

DT1CM
This post is 5771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings, all. I'm another newbie here with a few vintage motocrossers. I look forward to meeting you other vintage enthusiasts as time goes on, and to be of some assistance when I can. I recently picked up a 1970 DT1CM motocrosser that just came out of a barn here in Virginia. Its rough--I mean really rough. The story is that the old farmer just pushed the bike into the barn when his kids left home. Everything is original, but the chrome is rusty, and all the rubber is dry rotted. It must have been sitting for more than a decade. The motor has decent compression though, and now it has spark.

But to my point: Its got a strange carb manifold on it that I've never seen before. Its a GEM, with which I am somewhat familiar from my teen years in the late 60s and early 70s. This manifold has replaced the stock one and is welded to the barrel. The weld was professionally done. It still sports the original 30mm carb. This manifold has an arm that extends around the left side of the carb, and has a series of three small holes in it. There is also a threaded brass fitting on the left side of the manifold between the carb and the barrel. It appears to me now that the hole goes back about 3/4" and dead-ends, but that doesn't make any sense. I may find after removing the head, that there is a small hole in the cylinder wall to introcuce fuel??

Has anyone seen one of these manifolds? Ican probably plug the hole and run it that way, but someone went to a lot of trouble to install this thing, and it probably wasn't cheap to begin with. Thanks in advance for any help I get with this.

Bill in VA

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome DT1CM, Hard to figure without pictures, Could it be a connection for autolube, has the motor got an oil pump and the bike a tank, or is it petrol / oil mix?

BTW for pictures

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

Hello and welcome DT1CM, Hard to figure without pictures, Could it be a connection for autolube, has the motor got an oil pump and the bike a tank, or is it petrol / oil mix?

BTW for pictures

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

Thanks for your reply. I hope I have figured out how to make replies on this forum. I also haven't gotten around to setting up a Photobucket account, and I know it must be difficult to "see" what I'm talking about wihtout an image. Until then, I can say that it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the oil injection. The pump and tank are there, and are connected. The funny thing about it is that the passage behind brass fitting doesn't seem to go anywhere. I wonder if this is some sort of pivot for a throttle arm? It might be that it had a pumper carb that has since been removed, and replaced by the stock carb. I remember the pumper carbs from when I was a kid. They didn't seem to be very popular for very long. I'll look into the Photobucjet thing whne I have a chance.

Thanks again,

Bill in VA

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online