Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar Problems

Joreysdad
This post is 5778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello to all, newbie here with a little problem (I hope)

Have just purchased a Dragstar XVS125 and I'm having problems with the clutch.

I'm new to biking so as the bike was in Manchester and I live in Stafford I fetched in on a trailer, It's my first bike and I don't fancy a ride like that straight off.

All was fine with paperwork etc, numbers matched up etc etc, happy with the bike and bought it home.

Problem is that when I treid to put it into gear it stalled, the guy selling it said don't pull the clutch in so hard and it's fine. He started, put it into gear and rode it down to the trailer. No worries I thought, it's down to me.

Anyhoo, get it home this morning and I can't get it into gear, or i can but there is definately something wrong. I'll try to explain as best i can.

If i put it into gear with clutch pulled in fully it stalls, unless i adjust the cable to it's maximum tightest at the handle and give it a little revs in which case it goes in but when you release you don't move :)

I've fiddled with it in and out and can get to a point where with a little revs and the clutch very slightly pulled in i can get into gear, all be it with a jolt, pull it in all the way i can change gear as if clutch is working, let it out and the bike moves but the difference between clutch on and off is literally millimetres and is right at the end of free play.

My guess is the clutch is knackered and he's be ramming it in. Any other suggestions before I get a mechanic in would be appreciated :)

Oh and if you know a good mobile mechanic in the rugeley area that would be ace :)

Many Thanks in advance

Chris Evans

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is the clutch cable stretched? Get yourself a new one and see if that makes any difference - they arent that expensive. I had a similar thing on my XVS560, i replaced the cable and it was sorted. My clutch is very particular and my biting point isnt fabulous and to be honest its a pain in the ass at times, but theres bugger all wrong with the clutch itself - i think my bike is just fussy lol

Oh - and welcome to the forum

You should always have a little free play in the cable, adjust the cable at the lever untill about 5mm travel at the end of the lever before it starts to pull on the clutch. If this doesnt sort it completely, you may have to adjust the clutch, there is usually a means of doing this, but not familiar with your bike

Thanks for the advice so far :) and the welcome Goff (Love Elvira!)

Any takers on how to adjust clutch if necessary :)

You can do it at the lever or down the bottom near the engine or both - but i think you've tried that? I would give a new cable a go before you decide the clutch is knackered.

Also check you have the correct amount of oil.

Somewhere between the Min and Max marks, as dictated in your Book Of Lies...... sorry, Users' Manual!!

Having too much oil in the sump may cause clutch drag, meaning that it's so full the clutch plates cannot seperate properly. Even a new clutch cable, properly adjusted, will not disengage the clutch and allow for changing.

A clue is (with the sidestand UP) that it stalls for no reason when clicking into first, and/or it doesn't like shifting into Neutral while the engine is running.

And yes, I did discover this from having overfilled my own oil sump!!!

Thanks to everyone for advice - haven't checked oil but will do so as well. Problem seems to be sorted. Have fiddled with cable again, leaving a little slack as suggested and managed to get to a point where it will go into gear and the bite point is in the middle. Have priced up a new cable just in case the trouble comes back but fingers crossed :)

I'm wondering if it just needs a good run?

Anyhoo, will keep you informed and no doubt will be back for more friendly help and advice :)

Many thanks all

Chris

Thanks to everyone for advice - haven't checked oil but will do so as well. Problem seems to be sorted. Have fiddled with cable again, leaving a little slack as suggested and managed to get to a point where it will go into gear and the bite point is in the middle. Have priced up a new cable just in case the trouble comes back but fingers crossed :)

I'm wondering if it just needs a good run?

Anyhoo, will keep you informed and no doubt will be back for more friendly help and advice :)

Many thanks all

Chris

Let us know how you get on. A cable shouldnt be that much money and at least, if your twiddling hasnt sorted it you can replace it and elimate that and look at somethign else if the problem persists. Good luck. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online