XVS125

Bobsid
This post is 5849 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The other day my wife and I set off on a run, we had only gone about 9miles and were steadily purring along at about 80km when all of a sudden the bike just conked out on me, I freewheeled into a layby and stoped, there was a horrible smell of sulphuric acid so I opend the battery box to find that the battery was frying and the sides of it were buckeling I allowed the bike to cool for several minutes then turned the egnition on and everything seemed OK but obviously the battery was'nt up to scratch as the ign and engine management lights were dim but the engine management light went out after about 1sec as it should. I bumpstarted the bike and it ticked over as normal but when I try and rev it up the engine management light comes on and the bike cuts out. has anyone any experiance of this sort of thing. do you think that simply repacing the battery will solve the problem or is there somthing more seriously wrong ?

can anyone help me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need to get your new battery and when you connect it up and start the bike, With a multi meter, measure across the battery terminals using DC Volts range, As you rev the engine you should see the voltage rise to something like 14Volts and then stop there, If it rises continually as the revs increase you may have a problem with the Voltage regulator. Also watch out for any spilled acid in tha battery compartment, it will make short work of eating away at any metal it comes into contact with, especially if it gets wet The electrolyte (sulphuric acid) is highly corrosive and if spilled can cause extensive damage to your Bike, your clothes, your skin and in particular, your eyes. The neutralising agent to be used is a sodium bicarbonate solution (Baking Soda and water).

You need to get your new battery and when you connect it up and start the bike, With a multi meter, measure across the battery terminals using DC Volts range, As you rev the engine you should see the voltage rise to something like 14Volts and then stop there, If it rises continually as the revs increase you may have a problem with the Voltage regulator. Also watch out for any spilled acid in tha battery compartment, it will make short work of eating away at any metal it comes into contact with, especially if it gets wet The electrolyte (sulphuric acid) is highly corrosive and if spilled can cause extensive damage to your Bike, your clothes, your skin and in particular, your eyes. The neutralising agent to be used is a sodium bicarbonate solution (Baking Soda and water).

Thanks.

Have put a new battery on as you suggested and checked the voltage. on tick over it registered just over 14V and went up to 20V as I reved up. Is this a simple problem to rectify or does it need to go to the dealers for repair as I don't have a workshop manual so have nothig to work from.

That needs a proper sparky to check over.

I reckon your charging system is over-charging..... and clearly boiling your poor batteries!!

This is not good.

Get it checked out!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online