No gears no start!

2tone
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,Got a bit of a puzzle,my 91 3XW has developed a strange fault,suddenly for no reason when I pressed the starter button the oil light came on but the engine didn't turn over,It's like trying to start it in gear,I've changed the starter motor and the solinoid,no change,If I take a screwdriver and short out the solinoid it starts first time,but it wont go into gear, Any ideas? and is it terminal !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't panic yet.

Did you check the oil level?

And this may sound like a daft question, but are you sure the kill switch is on?

Yeah tried all obvious things, not a major disaster as I've got another FJ12, so I might sell this one on as a spares or repair, if I can't sort it, it feels like the gearbox is siezed.....Cheers.....2tone

Guest Exupnutta

Yeah tried all obvious things, not a major disaster as I've got another FJ12, so I might sell this one on as a spares or repair, if I can't sort it, it feels like the gearbox is siezed.....Cheers.....2tone

Sorry, the reason I asked about the kill switch is because I made a right pilchard out of myself at brands hatch a few years ago. Rode out of the car park and as I turned the corner to go on the road, I accidentaly hit the kill switch, but didn't realise... I'm pressing start and everytime the oil light came on... Put more oil in... still the same. I was like WTF! :blink:

Then I saw the kill switch was off. It started no probs after that. :lol:

I have a spare Thunderace / Exup engine and loads of FZR spares here. Are any FZR spares compatible with the FJ?

I can ask on an Exup forum if you're not sure. I'm not sure either, but have a vague memory that something was compatible between the two. DOOH :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online