Thundercat running temperature

tyson snow
This post is 4859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm a recent convert to bikes and have just bought a 2001 YZF 600 Thundercat.

It runs well and the idle speed is at 1200-1300rpm as it should be, but the temp is always around 70'C.

I would expect the running temp to be around 85'C, am I correct assuming this?

The temp will raise to 100'C in traffic and the fan will then kick in, but when I'm generally riding the temp is always low.

This is always the case, even when thrashing the engine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm fairly hands on but don't want to go to the hassle of adjusting all the carbs, so any info or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I have had a Thundercat for about 6 months now, mine idles at 800rpm and the running temp does not register on the dial, it sits below 60degrees, its only when i give it some on a long ride out that it runs at 70degrees, never seen it go higher though.

Not sure if that is correct or not either, lol

John

Hi, mines a Thundercat that's currently in the Yamaha shop having the temp gauge (among other things) sorted. It never moved and I've never heard the fan kick in, despite a motorway thrash. The mechanic seemed to think it would be the sender unit (£20) in cylinder head need replacing. I will ask him tomorrow what temp it should be running at, hopefully it will be ready by then, I miss it yer know.

The sender unit is one weak point on the Cat. Mine went three times in the seven years I owned a Cat. It doesn't affect the cooling fans so it's not a major worry. It just affects the accuracy of the temperature gauge.

The fans will kick in at 96 degrees celcius and switch off again at 88 degrees celcius. As long as the coolant system fluid is fine, you shouldn't have any major worries.

I noticed on my Cat that the fans very rarely kicked in, same with the Thunderace. Also, running over 65 degrees is a rarity.

Hi All, got my bike back today :D , and must say how fantastic Webbs of Lincoln have been - Very helpfull and I couldn't believe the bill was so cheap only charged me £90 for collecting bike (28 miles), replacing fuel pump, cleaning carbs out, balancing etc and test riding it, awesome, really awesome :D:D .

Anyway, back on topic tyson, The Thundercat runs cool, the Yamaha mechanic said in the summer when people are queing to leave race meets etc you hear the fans of other bikes well before the Thundercat which has a large radiator and excellent cooling. Madison is correct (not that I ever doubted yer mate) the mechanic at Webbs pretty much echoed what he said. If anything yours would appear to be reading falesly a little on the high side, since your fans not kicking in.

• 1 month later...

My bike is running well apart from when standing still the temp goes up really quickly.I was told i need heating check which will cost me 50 pounds before they even do anything.

One of my friends thinks its maybe a a fan sender switch,i have been checking ebay and the net and im not getting much.

What is it call ,is it a fan sender unit? that im looking for .has anyone came across these on ebay looking for one cheap,i have already spent a lot of money on a service and new tyres so want to keep cost down.

Any info would be a great help thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online