Do Old Transmissions Do Wierd Things Often?

junker
This post is 5753 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 1988 FZ600 Has a temperamental transmission. The clutch does nothing until almost all the way out, then it is like a hair trigger engagement. Also, I can't figure out why, but after it goes into neutral, i keep pushing it down and there seems to be NO first Gear! Was The FZ600 equipped with a GP style shift Pattern? Or is there a major problem with it? Also, I don't know how many gears there is supposed to be; I have ridden it around a few times and it seems like there is only two gears, Neutral and 1 click up. I can hear it click in after one push up, but after that i don't think it goes to anything else, is there something special i have to do, like get it rolling or something? This is very confusing. Just looking for a quick answer from anyone who knows specifically. thx.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My 1988 FZ600 Has a temperamental transmission. The clutch does nothing until almost all the way out, then it is like a hair trigger engagement. Also, I can't figure out why, but after it goes into neutral, i keep pushing it down and there seems to be NO first Gear! Was The FZ600 equipped with a GP style shift Pattern? Or is there a major problem with it? Also, I don't know how many gears there is supposed to be; I have ridden it around a few times and it seems like there is only two gears, Neutral and 1 click up. I can hear it click in after one push up, but after that i don't think it goes to anything else, is there something special i have to do, like get it rolling or something? This is very confusing. Just looking for a quick answer from anyone who knows specifically. thx.

Hi There,

The motor is six speed with a shift pattern of 1 down 5 up. When I was working on those bikes back in the 80's I had and FZ600 with a simular g/box fault which turned out to be two faults; they were there gear lever being bent and catching on the casing, the customer introduced the next fault by trying to adjust it !

a way to test the box would be to remove the gear lever and carfully connect a vise grip to the shaft (no to damage the splines ) rock the machine backwards & forwards and try to engage each gear in turn, no need to use the clutch come to that later). If you find all six the g/box should be ok if not you may be in for expense. If the gear change shaft is difficult to move with the vice grip remove the engine cover and see if moves easy if so clean the case where the shaft fits thro.

Clutch :-

Obtain clutch cover gasket, drain the oil & remove the clutch cover and clutch pressure plate. Inspect the release bearing and arm for wear, replace as required. Check the arm in the clutch cover for free movement, bends and it's teeth are intact. You should find the fault there and I am assuming you have checked the clutch lever pivot for wear and the cable for ease of movment.

Regards Jim

ok, the shift knob head thing was scraping against, and sticking to; the sprocket cover, there was a nice shiny gash in the paint when i removed the shift arm from the shaft with the splines. I figured out that it was previously installed upside-down and backwards... and the kid told me he was a "mechanic" probably on lawnmowers...

Anyway, the bike does shift slightly better now, being free to shift in either direction. And I did find all the gears, even 1st, it is below Neutral like most motorcycles (thank God). It is just hard to put into 1st or 4th, 5th, and 6th... you have to snap it either up or down very, very quickly, but to get into neutral it only takes a slight push... go figure.

My new question is; Is this average for a bike that has sat for a long time? And with normal riding and shifting will it loosen up whatever is wrong with it? Is it still sounding like the clutch plates? If not, what does it be a part of?

Thanks - Junker

ok, the shift knob head thing was scraping against, and sticking to; the sprocket cover, there was a nice shiny gash in the paint when i removed the shift arm from the shaft with the splines. I figured out that it was previously installed upside-down and backwards... and the kid told me he was a "mechanic" probably on lawnmowers...

Anyway, the bike does shift slightly better now, being free to shift in either direction. And I did find all the gears, even 1st, it is below Neutral like most motorcycles (thank God). It is just hard to put into 1st or 4th, 5th, and 6th... you have to snap it either up or down very, very quickly, but to get into neutral it only takes a slight push... go figure.

My new question is; Is this average for a bike that has sat for a long time? And with normal riding and shifting will it loosen up whatever is wrong with it? Is it still sounding like the clutch plates? If not, what does it be a part of?

Thanks - Junker

Hi There,

Have you ridden this bike out yet ? If not the box would not have had the lube it requires, I would still inspect the clutch release bearing as this motor used a strange pumped lube system which ran from the engine oil pump through the crankcase to the generator shaft then onwards to the clutch and G/Box, fine to pressure feed the lube, but as the oil gets to the generator it lubes the bearing then is forced down a 2mm hole in the crankcase. If the bike has been laid up for a while it is possible that hole is blocked and the gearbox & clutch recieve no lube. I had one block and the results were real bad (gearbox seized and exit crankcase rear, totaled the motor). If you don't want to strip the clutch out at least take the gen off, then remove the rotor undo the 2 torx headed bolts remove the lab seal and inspect the hole which is located in the case toward the rear of the bike. On reassembly clean the edges of the lab seal and check that the o ring is ok b4 refitting the seal. This will be an hour or so well spent (unless the hole is blocked then the time taken will be a lot longer but thats another long post to fix).

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online