Hi to all. I need some help!!

muff1
This post is 5859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:angry:

Hi to all at the club.

I have recently bought a 1988 RD 350 power valve. It has been running OK but recently when off the powervalve 0-6500 rpm it mis fires and there is little power as soon as I get it on the power valve it goes like a rocket.

I have removed the carbs, cleaned and reset, I have checked all the ignition side and given it a full service. Some times it drops on to one cylinder gor 4 miles or so then comes back on. I cant seem to cure the problem.

I am not sure if it needs a de-coke or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Can anyone shine some light for me and point me in the right direction.

My local dealer has all the attributes of a highway robber, I just dont want to got there.

anything would be appreciated so I can get the old girl back on the road before the last of the good weather (thats the little bit we had) has gone.

Cheers.

Muff.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I take it you can hear the noise of the power valve self checking when you switch on the ig. Did the service include plugs? They can foul on a stroker at low rpm if the gap isnt right or one spark is a bit weak.

I take it you can hear the noise of the power valve self checking when you switch on the ig. Did the service include plugs? They can foul on a stroker at low rpm if the gap isnt right or one spark is a bit weak.

Thanks for the reply, yes I can hear the power valve turn when ig on sometimes it is a bit sluggish. The plugs are new and I have set and re-checked the gaps all seems fine there.

I think i will take the power valve out and check/clean it to see if it has gunked up? I had a powervalve about 15 years ago and never had a problem so I'm a bit stupped.

I'll give it a go this weekend to see if it improves.

Thanks again

muff

:angry:

Hi to all at the club.

I have recently bought a 1988 RD 350 power valve. It has been running OK but recently when off the powervalve 0-6500 rpm it mis fires and there is little power as soon as I get it on the power valve it goes like a rocket.

I have removed the carbs, cleaned and reset, I have checked all the ignition side and given it a full service. Some times it drops on to one cylinder gor 4 miles or so then comes back on. I cant seem to cure the problem.

I am not sure if it needs a de-coke or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Can anyone shine some light for me and point me in the right direction.

My local dealer has all the attributes of a highway robber, I just dont want to got there.

anything would be appreciated so I can get the old girl back on the road before the last of the good weather (thats the little bit we had) has gone.

Cheers.

Muff.

thanks for your reply I think you are right I will give the power valve a clean up.

If the powervalve sounds sluggish you might have a cable issue they are wicked for sticking or siezing altogetheryou hear the noise but the valve isnt doing anything. One of the (bl##dy numerous) faults i had with mine was the clamp that connects the valves together had worn putting the valves badly out of balance.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online