Dt125 problems

AdZr
This post is 5819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys just signed up to see if you could help me a little, basicly my dt125 has been standing for over a year now so yesturday i decided to give it all a good clean up treat it to a nice new spark plug, new oil & some fresh petrol.

At first i tryed to bump start it and it nearly started but it didnt so i left the battery on charge over night and put the battery on the bike this morning, pushed the start button and the engine just kept turning over and over and over until bang not sure what it was but i think it was a back fire.

been trying different things all day with the bike but no luck, everytime i take the plug out its soaking wet & you get a strong smell of petrol all the time, i decided to take the carb off & give it a good clean but that still didnt work although i did find out that the needle was bent a little for some reason.

dont know what else to do now ive got a good spark & there is petrol getting there but im not sure if theres too much petrol getting there.

any help would be appreciated

also is there a drain plug on the crankcase?

thanks adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys just signed up to see if you could help me a little, basicly my dt125 has been standing for over a year now so yesturday i decided to give it all a good clean up treat it to a nice new spark plug, new oil & some fresh petrol.

At first i tryed to bump start it and it nearly started but it didnt so i left the battery on charge over night and put the battery on the bike this morning, pushed the start button and the engine just kept turning over and over and over until bang not sure what it was but i think it was a back fire.

been trying different things all day with the bike but no luck, everytime i take the plug out its soaking wet & you get a strong smell of petrol all the time, i decided to take the carb off & give it a good clean but that still didnt work although i did find out that the needle was bent a little for some reason.

dont know what else to do now ive got a good spark & there is petrol getting there but im not sure if theres too much petrol getting there.

any help would be appreciated

also is there a drain plug on the crankcase?

thanks adam

Adam youve probably flooded the crankcase with fuel, turn off the fuel, remove the spark plug and leave it standing for 24 hours, if its got a kickstart, turn the engine over a few tumes to aid evaporation. When you try again the next day, Try leaving the fuel tap off at first.

Adam youve probably flooded the crankcase with fuel, turn off the fuel, remove the spark plug and leave it standing for 24 hours, if its got a kickstart, turn the engine over a few tumes to aid evaporation. When you try again the next day, Try leaving the fuel tap off at first.

Cheers :) just done that! ill have another go in the morning, no kickstart sadly.

do you know if the engine has a drain plug for the crankcase

[quote name='AdZr' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:03 PM' post='62814

No I dont but I doubt it, Theres usually only a drain plug for gearbox oil.

I would turn the engine a little, by Having ignition off, Fuel tap off, remove plug and push it along in 4th gear, dont have to do much as dont want to be sucking more fuel from the carb.

[quote name='AdZr' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:03 PM' post='62814

No I dont but I doubt it, Theres usually only a drain plug for gearbox oil.

I would turn the engine a little, by Having ignition off, Fuel tap off, remove plug and push it along in 4th gear, dont have to do much as dont want to be sucking more fuel from the carb.

cheers just gone and done that, would it be best to drain the carb?

cheers just gone and done that, would it be best to drain the carb?

It might be if its easy to do, or you could possibly detach it from the intake rubber if thats easier, On the other hand the easiest thing is to leave it alone and dont go overboard shoving the bike around, its only to aid evaporation and expulsion of any fuel build up...You be the judge!

It might be if its easy to do, or you could possibly detach it from the intake rubber if thats easier, On the other hand the easiest thing is to leave it alone and dont go overboard shoving the bike around, its only to aid evaporation and expulsion of any fuel build up...You be the judge!

yeah ill just leave it until tomorrow :) i was thinking that maybe the timing could be out?

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online