Problem with my 78 dt 175

Sanders
This post is 5875 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was riding my bike and through the woods in 3rd gear when the bike started to bog down. realizing this i down shifted and slowed down to first gear speed. still acting funny the bike just shut off on my while still rolling. I tried kicking it to get it started again but after about 10 kicks the kick starter would not go down and it is jammed.

Any ideas of what is wrong?

thanks in advance

~jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was riding my bike and through the woods in 3rd gear when the bike started to bog down. realizing this i down shifted and slowed down to first gear speed. still acting funny the bike just shut off on my while still rolling. I tried kicking it to get it started again but after about 10 kicks the kick starter would not go down and it is jammed.

Any ideas of what is wrong?

thanks in advance

~jim

Oops...Sounds like its seized

Sounds like it is siezed. Don`t try kicking it over any more. It will only get worse. You might try pulling the sparkplug and dumping in some Marvel Mystery Oil, let it sit a couple of days and see if that will free it up. If not you`ll have to take it apart and replace the piston and rings. Don`t worry. If you can turn a wrench? You can replace a piston. :rolleyes:

As kobaskle says, if it is seized pour a good quantity of penetrating fluid such as plus gas in, and leave it to work dont rush it!

Seizures are usually piston to barrel on these bikes. Question is why did it seize, check the cable from the throttle to the autolube pump pulley has not broken. After you have left the penetrating oil to work, select a high gear 4th or 5th and gently rock the bike back and forth with the plug removed, remembering to cross your fingers as you do so ;)

haha i will definitely cross my fingers. thanks a lot guys. the only reason i didnt think it was seised was the fact that the kick starter didnt stop working until after a few more kicks after the bike was shut down.

anyway, thanks again guys for your help.

~jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online