1970 DT1C restoration question

melmark
This post is 5697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Folks. I recently purchased a 1970 DT1 250 cc. I remember these bikes from back in the early 70's and always wanted one. I have been watching Ebay but never found a nice one close by. I found a survivor close to home last week that had been ridden almost all of its 2450 miles on the road. All lights work and the bike looks and runs great. I have a few questions that I need answered before I start to accumulate parts to make it like new again.

1. I think that the paint is original but am not sure. Can anyone tell me of the 1970 was red?

2. The fenders are painted grey, was that the original color?

3. The seat is worn and has a small tear. It has the longer (~22inch long seat) where could I order a cover ?

4. The handlebars are painted great as well, were they chrome on this bike?

Does anyone know of a webpage where I can get info. using the VIN# on the steering head?

5. the carb. leaks gas if you dont shut the petcock off, I am thinking thta this may be a bad needle or seat, any mikuni carb rebuild resources out there?

Thanks gang, I am sure that I will be posting additional questions as I progress.

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Folks. I recently purchased a 1970 DT1 250 cc. I remember these bikes from back in the early 70's and always wanted one. I have been watching Ebay but never found a nice one close by. I found a survivor close to home last week that had been ridden almost all of its 2450 miles on the road. All lights work and the bike looks and runs great. I have a few questions that I need answered before I start to accumulate parts to make it like new again.

1. I think that the paint is original but am not sure. Can anyone tell me of the 1970 was red?

2. The fenders are painted grey, was that the original color?

3. The seat is worn and has a small tear. It has the longer (~22inch long seat) where could I order a cover ?

4. The handlebars are painted great as well, were they chrome on this bike?

Does anyone know of a webpage where I can get info. using the VIN# on the steering head?

5. the carb. leaks gas if you dont shut the petcock off, I am thinking thta this may be a bad needle or seat, any mikuni carb rebuild resources out there?

Thanks gang, I am sure that I will be posting additional questions as I progress.

Mark

Thanks.....thats exactly what I was looking for. On another topic, I think that the previous owner was spray paint happy. The handlebars, lower fork sliders ,Gas cap, fenders and shock springs are all painted grey. Anyone know if they came that way or the chrome was bad so he cleaned them up and painted them?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this site may be useful, why not put it in your favourites Look Here

hi hope you do not mind me asking i am looking for info on details of my bike thinks its dt125mx with 175 top end. As you have dt as well hoping you can steer me the right way. looking to restore the bike but never had a bike before so all new to me frame looks as if it started out black and tank was red both have had a number of coats of paints in other colours over the years i am trying to work out what is the real old bits and what is not. rear swing arm is not can i still get one? so many questions i need to ask before i fully get going.

thank you

dom

Hi Dom youre new so welcome to the forum, lets see some pictures then! :D

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

BTW if its a 175, it will say in the cylinder casting 171cc, somewhere on the side if memory serves me correct

Thanks.....thats exactly what I was looking for. On another topic, I think that the previous owner was spray paint happy. The handlebars, lower fork sliders ,Gas cap, fenders and shock springs are all painted grey. Anyone know if they came that way or the chrome was bad so he cleaned them up and painted them?

Mark, you need to join Yamahaenduro.com There are absolute experts there on you particular bike and more.

Mark, you need to join Yamahaenduro.com There are absolute experts there on you particular bike and more.

Thanks very much....I will check it out