R6 Cam chain tensioner, standard or APE manual billet one??

Gaz-M
This post is 5711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, im pretty certain my cam chain tensioner is causing a chain rattle on my 1999 R6.

The thing im wondering is whether to use a standard part or if the APE is a good upgrade.

Ive also read and 03> tensioner is a better replacement part!?

Also, whats the best way to adjust the APE to the correct setting?

Heres a link to the APE: http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/product.as...mp;source=thumb

Haven't yet got a price for a standard one.

Any opinions or experience welcome! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First things first, is this definitely a cam-chain rattle? are the carbs balanced, they can often cause a lot of noise that sounds rattly.

If it is the tensioner then ultimately depending on usage the chain may have stretched to the point where the tensioner is not causing the cam-chain to be at the right tension.

I would try a new tensioner first, but i would avoid aftermarket manual tensioners like the plague, unless you are racing. These are meant to be adjusted at very regular intervals, probably best not to bother unless you wanna have your tank off on a regular basis.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Im pretty certain its a cam chain rattle from what ive read. Its from the right side and goes away when hot or revved above 1000 rpm.

Right,, im happy with that answer.

So, do i go for a 2003 tensioner as theyre meant to be a better replacement!?

Thanks again for the help! ;)

well im no R6 expert, but i would go for the year for your model, remember yamaha may have improved the part, post manufacture if they suspect it is weak.

may be work trying an R6 specific forum (there are several) o maybe chatting to a yamaha dealership mechanic near you.

good luck

• 1 month later...