XVS125 rebuild - help needed!

mattkett
This post is 5702 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to mine your collective brains for information on all things technical. I've got some experience of grease monkeying - a kitcar helped there - but bikes are a whole new ball game and frankly the amount of rust I've encountered already is pretty alarming!

<HISTORY>

This is my first bike, I've been riding it every day since I bought it in November (trade, from a dealer) - wind, rain, ice, snow - you name it, and now the nice weather's arrived (cough) it's decided to die. God bless Murphy and his immutable law :(

Obviously then, I decided that since I have no idea what I'm doing I'd strip the thing to the floor and give it a full resto - I know, I know, it's only a 125, but I love her and so do the kids so she stays, end of. Anyway, the tests not till September 19th so it'll give me something to do instead of all that tedious practicing :P

On then to the details: the starter switch has packed in, the story:

I removed inline 4A fuse to stop annoying electronic tone coming from immobiliser black box under seat (not Yamaha, possibly DataTool but unbranded green immmo key with round pad), the immobiliser now seems to work OK.

Before I cocked it all up, with the immobiliser armed the bike would turn over but not fire - ignition circuit interupted by the immobiliser, now the bike will not turn over at all, immobiliser armed or not.

Local samaritan that understands electricity (not my strong point) and is a biker (like a car driver would have offered) has checked that the starter motor is OK, the kill switch works, the bike starts with a push so he reckons its either a physical break in the wire from the switch to the solenoid, the solenoid itself (expensive to check) or the immobiliser has done something permenant to break the starter circuit.

</HISTORY>

Can anyone help me identify the immobiliser? It is a very professional job, with the immobiliser fully integrated into the bikes electrics. The black box under the seat has no markings at all with 6 or 7 black wires coming out, the pad keys are green keyring affairs with circular pad, again no markings. The dealer I bought the bike from (with no documents) reckons it may be a DataTool install. The pad is located on the offside removable panel if that helps? :blink:

Any and all help gratefully received,

M@

PS. Has anyone got any suggestions for removing a completely rounded off sump plug? Tried the usual mallet and screwdriver thing (subtle, I know) but it's determined to stay put.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online