The new motorcycle test

Goff
This post is 5726 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Some info to clear up any confusion about the new motorcycle test:

The new practical motorcycle test will be introduced from 29 September with the aim of improving the standard of road safety for motorcycle and moped riders. Motorcyclists face greater risks than most other groups of road users; this is particularly the case for young and inexperienced riders.

The fee for the standard weekday new practical test will be £80.00. Bookings made by trainer bookers will be taken from Monday 4 August.

The new test event will contain two elements. The higher speed exercises and other exercises will be tested on safe off-road sites and take about 10 minutes to complete. The accompanied on road element of the test will follow, consisting of a road ride covering a variety of road and traffic conditions and will also include normal stops, hill and angle starts.

Candidates who have demonstrated riding skills of a dangerous or incompetent level during the off-road part of the test will not be permitted to proceed to the on-road element.

These new exercises include:

At least two exercises carried out at slow speed, including a slalom

At least two exercises carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

At least two braking exercises, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

On the day of the test, you will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate your riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. Please note that the standard off-road layout may change due to local conditions.

Follow the link to see the standard maneuvering diagram with measurements.

LINKY LINKY

The practical moped riding test

The practical moped riding test (which does not include the 50 km/h requirement) will also be carried out from the new test centres, where both the obstacle avoidance and emergency braking exercises will be carried out at 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph). A test for the drivers of motorcycle and side car combination has also been developed.

Delivery of the new test

From 29 September, we anticipate 39 MPTCs being operational and able to accommodate the off-road part of the new test. In those areas where there will be an MPTC becoming operational after 29 September, a number of casual hire sites will be made available on a temporary basis – please continue to check the website below for further updates.

ANOTHER LINKY LINKY

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Some info to clear up any confusion about the new motorcycle test:

These new exercises include:

At least two exercises carried out at slow speed, including a slalom

At least two exercises carried out at higher speed, of which one exercise should be in second or third gear, at a speed of at least 30 km/h (approx. 19 mph) and one exercise avoiding an obstacle at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

At least two braking exercises, including an emergency brake at a minimum speed of 50 km/h (approx. 32 mph)

On the day of the test, you will be asked by the examiner to demonstrate your riding ability on either the left-hand or right-hand circuit. Please note that the standard off-road layout may change due to local conditions.

ANOTHER LINKY LINKY

I wanna have a go ! lol

I wanna have a go ! lol

i dont!

least i get the old test not the new one, its ridiculus

i dont!

least i get the old test not the new one, its ridiculus

Oh I don't know, sounds similar to the old 2 part tests.

It still does nothing for high speed riding though.

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

isnt that what we did our CBT for? silly i think....whats a angle start mean?

er....................... did my test 2 and a bit years ago.

Aint you got your test cuming up mate?

er....................... did my test 2 and a bit years ago.

Aint you got your test cuming up mate?

yes it was yesterday failed :( got 2 minors then just before the test centre on the way back i took a wrong turning came out and turnt left and he told me i failed it was a no left turn ...gutted lol

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

isnt that what we did our CBT for? silly i think....whats a angle start mean?

yes it was yesterday failed :( got 2 minors then just before the test centre on the way back i took a wrong turning came out and turnt left and he told me i failed it was a no left turn ...gutted lol

Well at least you will be able to tell us wat a angle start is mate.

Sorry to hear you faild

Well at least you will be able to tell us wat a angle start is mate.

Sorry to hear you faild

lol i dont have a clue mate we didnt do it! i have to wait 10days until i can re book then im guna get a cacelation! its ok mate ;)

lol i dont have a clue mate we didnt do it! i have to wait 10days until i can re book then im guna get a cacelation! its ok mate ;)

Angle start = where the examiner will ask you to stop behind a parked car (but not always) and then get you to pull out again into the road. They are checking your observation, slow speed control, planning ahead etc etc - you probably did it and didn't even notice - my examiner rolled mine up with a hill start.

Also in the new test I beleive there is a new exercise which involves 'paddling' your bike from one 'cone garage' to another - backwards - so those of you who may be 'vertically challenged' might find this one hard.

Oh and by the way, just in case you didn't get it from the original post you WILL have to do the test at one of the NEW test centres which could mean a longer journey than at present.

:D:D:D

Yikes! The British government must not like bikers much! Over here, each state is slightly different, but none of them that I know of require any license for a moped, and most have much less of a test for motorcycles.

You only have to be 16 years old and wear a helmet to ride a moped her in North Carolina. They're commonly known as liquor-cycles, since people that lose their driver's license due to driving drunk usually end up buying mopeds!

I had my daughter take the BRC (basic rider course) when she was 15 so she could get a permit for her moped (Razz). That's the law here in Minnesota. The permit is no longer required once she turned 16 and got her drivers license. She now has her motorcycle permit, which means no Interstate riding, passengers, or night time riding. Helmets are require for under 18 years old. Seems like countries 'over on the other side of the pond' take drivers and motorcycle licenses a little more seriously than us 'Yanks'. Seems like all you need in the USA is a heartbeat to get a license.

Angle start = where the examiner will ask you to stop behind a parked car (but not always) and then get you to pull out again into the road. They are checking your observation, slow speed control, planning ahead etc etc - you probably did it and didn't even notice - my examiner rolled mine up with a hill start.

Also in the new test I beleive there is a new exercise which involves 'paddling' your bike from one 'cone garage' to another - backwards - so those of you who may be 'vertically challenged' might find this one hard.

Oh and by the way, just in case you didn't get it from the original post you WILL have to do the test at one of the NEW test centres which could mean a longer journey than at present.

:D:D:D

hi all

new to here

would just like to say that we have been told that in our area the new test centre will be in herne bay , not to bad about 28 miles from me, the only problem is it hasnt been built yet !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online