Yamaha yzf600r thundercat

jimbob001
This post is 5796 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi can somebody offer me help with the front brakes on my thundercat please

the original calipers have seized and I am having trouble finding replacement's

would the calipers from a fazer or r6 bolt straight on as replacement items? (there seem to be more of these for sale on ebay etc....)

Many thanks

Jim :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi can somebody offer me help with the front brakes on my thundercat please

the original calipers have seized and I am having trouble finding replacement's

would the calipers from a fazer or r6 bolt straight on as replacement items? (there seem to be more of these for sale on ebay etc....)

Many thanks

Jim :)

hi there i think they would bolt straight on but not sure, i have some fzr 600 calipers think they the same pm me your e mail and il take a pic and send to u so u can see if they the same .

mick

Hi Jim,

Most of the FZ/R calipers are the same through the years 600/750/1000 all you have to check is the distance between the mounting hole centres on your model it should be 100mm if so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a set of calipers. I fitted a set of bluespot calipers off a 94 1000 thundercat as an upgrade to my 91 FZR 1000 EXUP bolted straight on ( ebay £35 )

Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

If you want to upgrade your brakes, use a set from an R1 or R6, 1999 to 2002, not the later radial ones.

These are better than Cat or Ace ones as they are one piece construction, rather than two halves bolted together like on the Cat or Ace, they`re easier to bleed as well as they don`t have the link pipe where the air gets trapped.

Braided lines will help as well as decent HH pads.

Cheapest place is Ebay.com (USA)

Got my goldspots from there for £30 including delivery!

The goldspots are better as they have lighter internals, less prone to seizing and seem to work better.

If you want to upgrade your brakes, use a set from an R1 or R6, 1999 to 2002, not the later radial ones.

These are better than Cat or Ace ones as they are one piece construction, rather than two halves bolted together like on the Cat or Ace, they`re easier to bleed as well as they don`t have the link pipe where the air gets trapped.

Braided lines will help as well as decent HH pads.

Cheapest place is Ebay.com (USA)

Got my goldspots from there for £30 including delivery!

The goldspots are better as they have lighter internals, less prone to seizing and seem to work better.

Thanks for the advice, I had already bought a set of thunderace calipers from ebay before i read your reply, now having trouble bleeding then etc...

Any ideas? Could air be being drwn back in through dodgy piston seals, checked everythng and all seems to be ok, so im thinking this must be the weak spot etc...

Thanks

Jim

Jim, most of the bluespots are a pig to bleed.

Best tip i`ve found with mine, is to back bleed them, you need a syringe set up, you pump the fluid into the nipple on the calipers until the master cylinder is full, then bleed them as normal.

You could try taking the calipers off the mounts, then turn them round/upside down, this sometimes dislodges the trapped air.

Also, try bleeding the master cylinder, loosen the bolt that holds the banjo bolts where it fits into the master cyl, then pump a few times, as air can get trapped there.

Make sure you have rags underneath as you don`t want brake fluid on your paintwork.

EBC brakes are supposed to be really good and they don't outsource, they keep all the work in the U.K.

So shipping will also probably be very cheap for pads and stuff... if you didn't already get performance brakes