yamaha dtr 125

PAPAMACK
This post is 5794 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi ive got a husqvarna wr125 1991 with a yamaha dtr 125 1996 engine in it but i have been unable to get the engine started since fitting it. it has good compression and im getting a good spark it will fire with a bit easy start but wont actually start. i have tried fresh fuel/2 stroke cleaned out carb/jets although there was one i couldnt get out but blew it all through with airline and seemed ok. i am premixing the fuel/2stroke in the tank at 30/1 is this a good mix? any help would be much apreciated as i started this project over a year ago and its driving me mad now. thanks all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What facility does the bike have for cold starting, starter jet? choke? are these working? Also have you tried to bump start it?

not sure about the starter jet but has a choke but dont know how to check it is working. its a flatslide mikuni carb. the strangest thing is when i try bumping the bike it wont fire at all but does off the kickstart. i havent got a clue why it would be doing that so any ideas would be a great help.

not sure about the starter jet but has a choke but dont know how to check it is working. its a flatslide mikuni carb. the strangest thing is when i try bumping the bike it wont fire at all but does off the kickstart. i havent got a clue why it would be doing that so any ideas would be a great help.

Hi

You say it has good compression - have you put a tester on it? You will need at least 100psi. Sounds as if the fuel isn't getting to the plug - worth checking for

1. Spark when you kick it over.

2. After kicking a few times with a completely clean, dry plug check to see if there is any petrol on the plug.

You might have an air leak on the inlet side - you say it will run with easystart - for how long, and are you squirting into the air intake or direct into the cylinder?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi

You say it has good compression - have you put a tester on it? You will need at least 100psi. Sounds as if the fuel isn't getting to the plug - worth checking for

1. Spark when you kick it over.

2. After kicking a few times with a completely clean, dry plug check to see if there is any petrol on the plug.

You might have an air leak on the inlet side - you say it will run with easystart - for how long, and are you squirting into the air intake or direct into the cylinder?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

havnt done compression test as dont have tester. plug is dry after couple off kicks but will foul up after about 20 kicks and several swear words and seems quite oily . squirting easystart into the airintake and it fires but doesnt start. thanks

When bumpstarting try a fairly steep hill, get someone to assist put bike in 3rd gear, choke on, fuel tap on, crack the throttle only slightly (It wont start with fistfulls of throttle), build up some speed and dump the clutch...Hey Away she goes... :blink:(I hope)

When bumpstarting try a fairly steep hill, get someone to assist put bike in 3rd gear, choke on, fuel tap on, crack the throttle only slightly (It wont start with fistfulls of throttle), build up some speed and dump the clutch...Hey Away she goes... :blink:(I hope)

will give that a try and let you know how i get on. was trying it in second gear and wasnt much of a hill so might help. thanks and anymore suggestions would be great thanks

will give that a try and let you know how i get on. was trying it in second gear and wasnt much of a hill so might help. thanks and anymore suggestions would be great thanks

ok just been out and tried bumping it down a steep hill in third and nothing at all didnt even fire. cleaned plug and kicked it and nothing cleaned plug again lil bit easystart and fired again but still wont start. have took the carb off and brought it in the house gona strip it down and cleaning it also going to check float height. bloody pile of crap i would take the engine back but the guy was much bigger than me lol.

Sounds like the fuel is not getting through' take off the pipe from the carb and verify a good fuel flow from the tap

ok tap is working fine and the bowl is filling up so seems like one of the jets has to be blocked. havent been able to check the float height yet as i cant find the haynes manual. is the float height likely to cause tthis kind of problem? was trying to find somewhere online that sells jet kits for dtr but cant seem to find any. thanks again

ok tap is working fine and the bowl is filling up so seems like one of the jets has to be blocked. havent been able to check the float height yet as i cant find the haynes manual. is the float height likely to cause tthis kind of problem? was trying to find somewhere online that sells jet kits for dtr but cant seem to find any. thanks again

Try blowing out the jet or soaking it in a bit of carb cleaner first the usually 'ungum'. Don't use anything more than the bristle of a nylon brush to poke - and even use this with caution. Sounds like a fuel not getting to the cylinder problem. As to compression, in the absence of a tester can you blow your thumb off the spark plug hole if you crank it?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try blowing out the jet or soaking it in a bit of carb cleaner first the usually 'ungum'. Don't use anything more than the bristle of a nylon brush to poke - and even use this with caution. Sounds like a fuel not getting to the cylinder problem. As to compression, in the absence of a tester can you blow your thumb off the spark plug hole if you crank it?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

have blown out the jets but theres one i cant get out as the housing is bured over preventing it coming out. any suggestions on what i can do would be appreciated?. will try some carb cleaner on it aswell dont really want to have to buy another carb as there bloody expensive. compression seems good and is creating a good vacum so its deffinetly the carb. thanks

You could do with giving it to a good engineer to have a look at, do you know anyone who works in an engineering workshop or garage etc. Where are you BTW?

dont know of anyone local to me im in fife scotland near edinburgh. dont want to break anything trying it myself so think im gona have to look into that. thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online