run for 10 minutes and it dies, looks like no juice.

stoggy
This post is 5778 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I finally got my 1978 xs400-2e to run pretty good. But now if i run it for about 10 minutes it will die, then it won't start and all the indicator lights are real dimm. So I don't think it is charging. Still waiting to borrow a battery tender so I can't try again for a bit.

Just looking for suggestions before I get into it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I finally got my 1978 xs400-2e to run pretty good. But now if i run it for about 10 minutes it will die, then it won't start and all the indicator lights are real dimm. So I don't think it is charging. Still waiting to borrow a battery tender so I can't try again for a bit.

When you run it, check the regulator/ rectifier is not over heating if so it may point to over charging.

when running with charged battery. you should be getting 14.5 volts + across the battery terminals @ 3k revs. if not, your voltage regulator has gone.

lost all spark now, i think.

if i pull the spark plugs and kick it, i should see a spark across the plugs, right? I have tried with them up against the block and just in my hand, avoiding the metal parts of the plugs of course.

lost all spark now, i think.

if i pull the spark plugs and kick it, i should see a spark across the plugs, right? I have tried with them up against the block and just in my hand, avoiding the metal parts of the plugs of course.

and.......did you get a spark?

that may not be really accurate, sometimes when you test a spark plug you have to do everything right and if one thing's off... you dont get a spark. careful, you could also ruin things like coils and what-not.

im not familiar with this bike but maybe i could suggest a few things.

start easy and cheap: make sure your engine is getting sufficient fuel, check your lines and everything. It might also be your idle needs adjusting, observe it the next time you run it, if the RPM's fall steadily but surely it could be your carburetors.

But it probably is an electrical thing with your regulator, i'm just giving you a few things you can easily check that wont cost anything :)

it wont run now. I checked the bowls and they are getting gas. Maybe its not going into the engine though. When I kick it, it turns over but doesn't even try to start.

both spark plugs are brand new.

I tried holding 1 plug at a time against the block and kicking, no spark. I tried holding the spark plugs away from the block and kicking, same no spark.

how do i test the regulator? i saw something in the manual about a spark tester. is that another tool or? Can I make one or is it something that needs to be purchased, i have never heard of it, and the manual only mentions it.

it might be a long shot but it sounds like if you had it running then it stopped and your getting no spark, like grizzly said, check the wires, one might have been dangling over the head and gotten melted or something and is now shoring out. or maybe your plugs got oiled or something and just need some time to sit and dry off, try again tomorrow.

Also, when you checked your plugs, were you expecting the big blast of gas and air to come shooting out of the hole?!?!!?

When i tried to test mine i wasn't expecting it and it got me right in the face, gas got in my eyes and stung, it was not a pretty day.... And my eyes were wide open too, because i was looking really intently for a spark, my eyes wouldnt stop burning for 20 minutes. :angry:

it might be a long shot but it sounds like if you had it running then it stopped and your getting no spark, like grizzly said, check the wires, one might have been dangling over the head and gotten melted or something and is now shoring out. or maybe your plugs got oiled or something and just need some time to sit and dry off, try again tomorrow.

Also, when you checked your plugs, were you expecting the big blast of gas and air to come shooting out of the hole?!?!!?

When i tried to test mine i wasn't expecting it and it got me right in the face, gas got in my eyes and stung, it was not a pretty day.... And my eyes were wide open too, because i was looking really intently for a spark, my eyes wouldnt stop burning for 20 minutes. :angry:

Hi Stoggy

I am not sure if a 1978 bike still has contact points and condensers; this sounds exactly like a condenser going dead when it get slightly warm. I once stripped all the carbs on a Honda 500-4 for the same symptoms and it was the condensers causing misfiring and dying once warmed up.

no it wont spark at all, I cant get 2k rpm because it wont start. As in it wont start. To be perfectly clear it won't start, like at all. Or to compare it to something else, i have a table lamp that makes more noise then the bike does now.

This is over 10 days so it has cooled down.

Nothing shot out of the spark plug holes. I wasn't looking in the hole though i was looking between the point and the little finger on the spark plug. The plugs look clean.

When i got it the points were way off. i will check them again.

thanks though.

no it wont spark at all, I cant get 2k rpm because it wont start. As in it wont start. To be perfectly clear it won't start, like at all. Or to compare it to something else, i have a table lamp that makes more noise then the bike does now.

This is over 10 days so it has cooled down.

Nothing shot out of the spark plug holes. I wasn't looking in the hole though i was looking between the point and the little finger on the spark plug. The plugs look clean.

When i got it the points were way off. i will check them again.

thanks though.

did you recharge your battery?

the handlebar run switch isn't turned off is it?