1982 xs400 main fuse blowing

blowfish
This post is 5860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

O.K. This is my first post.

I've been riding my 1982 xs400 all summer and loving it but now...

It was left parked for a week outside where it got wet from a srinkler system.

When I tried to start her there was no power at all so i charged the battery, still nothing. Then found the main fuse (20A) was blown. I replaced it, turned the key and it blew instantly. I've inspected the wires for obvious shorts and found nothing. I took apart the ignition switch cleaned it and still blows the main fuse instantly when the key is turned.

I haven't much experience with electrical and I'm not to sure where to start. I have a digital multi meter that I bought and haven't needed to use, until now.....

Thanks for any advice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think its a case of disconnecting electrical connections, then starting with the ignition switch, turn the key, connect something else, turn the key etc.

i would start with the starter motor + solinoid first.

• 4 weeks later...

I think its a case of disconnecting electrical connections, then starting with the ignition switch, turn the key, connect something else, turn the key etc.

i would start with the starter motor + solinoid first.

Thank you and sorry for the delay in my response. Unfortunately, for me, \i've been sepparated from my bike for way too long. Today armed with a dozen or so fuses I tracked the short down to the rear taillight.

That problem being solved I now have a new one! The bike will only run with the choke on full and if i touch the trottle at all it will die. Is this a carburator problem now? It is possible that the fule line has a small kink in it, could this be the cause of my new problem? I'll start with a new fuel line tommorow, fingers crossed.

New problem. After pulling the carb for a cleaning (areosol carb cleaner) the bike seemed to run fine. It started with 1/4 choke and after about thirty secons would idle without choke. Then about two minutes down the road it had no power at low rpms at all. Between 5-8000 rpm the bike felt right but below that it was very sluggish.

New problem. After pulling the carb for a cleaning (areosol carb cleaner) the bike seemed to run fine. It started with 1/4 choke and after about thirty secons would idle without choke. Then about two minutes down the road it had no power at low rpms at all. Between 5-8000 rpm the bike felt right but below that it was very sluggish.

pilot system blocked, do a search as its been talked to death

Started bike up yesterday and after 30 seconds gas started pouring out the airbox. I guess the floats are stuck as well as the pilot jet. So off came the carbs again. Took it for a short spin up the alley and all seems to be better; no gas leak and the power seams to be back at low revs. Gonna take another test ride and if all is well I'll be riding the 300 kms home. Thanks again for the help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online