My New Bike

brotherflash
This post is 5708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone. I just bought a 1980 Yamaha. The engine has 655cc stamped on it but I'm having a hard time identifying if it is an XJ 650 or an XS 650 maxim, or an XS 650G. Is there a way to identify this engine before I start ordering parts for the engine. Thanks. Brotherflash

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone. I just bought a 1980 Yamaha. The engine has 655cc stamped on it but I'm having a hard time identifying if it is an XJ 650 or an XS 650 maxim, or an XS 650G. Is there a way to identify this engine before I start ordering parts for the engine. Thanks. Brotherflash

If you take the frame & engine number to a yamaha dealer they will be able to identify it 4 you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just acquired a bike as a restoration project. It is an inline four cylinder twin shock with the code 5K5-023793 on the engine casing and the headstock. It is supposedly an XS550 American model.

So far trying to find a website which would let me put that code in to help identifying the bike has thrown up nothing so any help folks?

The bike was given to me free and has new shocks, sprockets and chain. It has a bad streetfighter look of gold frame and purple bodywork with a chrome rear mudguard. At the moment before deciding what to do to it and what look I want I need to know what I've got.

Cheers John

PS. on the clutch side it says 2200cm3 !!!!

Should be an XJ550; AFAIK unless its 750,850,or 1100 all XSs are V-Twin

I've just acquired a bike as a restoration project. It is an inline four cylinder twin shock with the code 5K5-023793 on the engine casing and the headstock. It is supposedly an XS550 American model.

So far trying to find a website which would let me put that code in to help identifying the bike has thrown up nothing so any help folks?

The bike was given to me free and has new shocks, sprockets and chain. It has a bad streetfighter look of gold frame and purple bodywork with a chrome rear mudguard. At the moment before deciding what to do to it and what look I want I need to know what I've got.

Cheers John

PS. on the clutch side it says 2200cm3 !!!!

a

Should be an XJ550; AFAIK unless its 750,850,or 1100 all XSs are V-Twin

a

eh?

XS's are parallel twin (250 to 500cc), triples (750 to 850)or four cylinder (1100)

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asp for model spec

• 2 months later...

A 550 Maxim is what I was thinking it could be as well.......rode an XJ550 Seca for 13 years, so became pretty familiar with 'em. ;)

The 400 & 550 were the only Maxim's that had chain drive....& the whole Maxim series has motors that are either XJ or XS. ;)

Geico.com's website is great for figuring out what a bike is by it's VIN. If I'm not sure what a bike is, I just go to their website and submit for a free online insurance quote. The forms you fill out just ask for the VIN, then it pulls the yr, make, model, and cc information from that. Since it's only a free quote it doesn't bind you to any form of payments.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online