Tips on Decoking

This post is 5797 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well slowly iv got the parts for the rebuild on my DTR everything but the piston i was wondering if my bore had already been bored out a bit will a standard piston be ok if its on its first stage? any way back to what i was asking any tips on how to remove coke build up?

tips techniques...tools?....products you can recommend :D cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well slowly iv got the parts for the rebuild on my DTR everything but the piston i was wondering if my bore had already been bored out a bit will a standard piston be ok if its on its first stage? any way back to what i was asking any tips on how to remove coke build up?

tips techniques...tools?....products you can recommend :D cheers

Do you have a manual? If you do you will find a measurement for the lnside diameter of the bore,if it is larger than the spec, then it's been rebored. If so use oversized rings or larger piston but deglaze the bore before fitting. If as spec, use standard rings but also deglaze the bore. As for the decoking bit you can use a decoking solution, try & understand the manual or catch me next time when I'm hopefully a bit more sober. "HIC"!!!!!!!!

1St stage Bore and standard piston should be fine with the proper rings, BUT check that it is only the 1St stage.

Decoking - I use bench griders of different sizes fitted with wire brushes, (just don`t press too hard) which are great for cleaning up all sorts of tough metals. On the other end of these B/Grinders I have different size cloth wheels which I use for metal polishing. Such as Alloy cases and anything else that need a proffessional polish.

Cheers.

1St stage Bore and standard piston should be fine with the proper rings, BUT check that it is only the 1St stage.

Decoking - I use bench griders of different sizes fitted with wire brushes, (just don`t press too hard) which are great for cleaning up all sorts of tough metals. On the other end of these B/Grinders I have different size cloth wheels which I use for metal polishing. Such as Alloy cases and anything else that need a proffessional polish.

Cheers.

thanks mate cheers :D il take the head into work when the piston comes in and decoke it with there bench grinder cloths thank you

thanks mate cheers :D il take the head into work when the piston comes in and decoke it with there bench grinder cloths thank you

Personally i would only use a standard piston in a standard bore and a +0.25mm piston in a first bore, again with the correct rings

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online