ThunderAce, any good?

Lardybloke
This post is 5890 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Looking to move on from my '94 YZF750 onto something a: Newer, b: More powerful, and c: better for two up touring. The only thing is, I want something that will satisfy my weekend warrior aspirations and scratch as well as the YFZ. I'm not a nutter but I would like something that isn't going to be left behind. I reckon the old ThunderAce will fit the bill, anyone got any comments or experiences that would change my mind or confirm my choice?

Cheers,

Lard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I`ve just done the same, changed my YZF750 for a Thunderace.

Its much more comfortable, ideal for touring, has a good torquey motor, good for an actual 165mph.

Only downside compared to the YZF750, its a bit heavier and the rear original suspension isn`t very good.

Front end is good, as the internals are virtually the same as the R1.

Usual problems with Exup valve seizing, and exhaust headers rot, but i replaced mine with a stainless system with no Exup valve, no rejetting, actually improves the mid range a little.

Some have problems with running hot and boiling over, easily fixed with a different thermostat or a manual switch for the fans.

Most Aces use a lot of oil, though mines fine at the moment.

Replacement panels are expensive, even secondhand, especially top fairings.

Clutch can be a little grabby, but can be fixed replacing the master cylinder with one from a YZF750.

Not everyones cup of tea as some say they look a bit fat and wide, but i`m happy with mine. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online