xvs 125 you can get a bit more poke

Ogri
This post is 2005 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Leave the cover off and take a ride down to your local tyre fitting bay, hand them your socket and they will spin it off no problem with those pneumatic gadgets...a tactic I have used myself in the past. Then just nip it up for the ride back home.

...Paul

help, trying to get my front drive sprocket of my xvs 125,had torque wrench on and lifting bike off ground nut still refuses to move,i have bent the three locking tabs back, is it a l/h or r/h thread

id soak it in wd40 and leve it for 30min then put a metal tube on the end of the rench (to legnthen the handle) and tap it with a hammer whilst gently aplying pressure

normaly works

• 2 weeks later...

Guys please help me out here,I can't find this valve on the breather pipe.mines a 2002 dragstar but my brether seems to be straight through? Any suggestions? Cheers

Guys please help me out here,I can't find this valve on the breather pipe.mines a 2002 dragstar but my brether seems to be straight through? Any suggestions? Cheers

what brether pipe? crank-case or petrol-tank? unles your on about the vacume hoses?

• 4 weeks later...

So far the cheapest way i have found of getting more out of an XVS125 Dragstar is to fit a 520 conversion kit, for those of you that do not know, it is a replacement sprocket set with, if i remember this right, 1 to 3 teeth more on the engine sprocket and 1 to 3 teeth less on the rear sprocket, depending on the gearing you wish.

I used the 1 and 1 setting and got an extra 5 miles per hour through gears 1-2 and and extra 10 per hour through 3-5.

• 3 weeks later...

So far the cheapest way i have found of getting more out of an XVS125 Dragstar is to fit a 520 conversion kit, for those of you that do not know, it is a replacement sprocket set with, if i remember this right, 1 to 3 teeth more on the engine sprocket and 1 to 3 teeth less on the rear sprocket, depending on the gearing you wish.

I used the 1 and 1 setting and got an extra 5 miles per hour through gears 1-2 and and extra 10 per hour through 3-5.

Hi, I have just been GIVEN a 125 Dragstar :) which needs some work to get back on the road. Can you give any details of cost and suppliers for the 520 conversion kit please?

Can't wait to get back on the road :)

Stay Upright And Shiny B)

• 1 month later...

Going back to the topic of getting a bit more poke.

The xvs 400 has 2 carbs right? So if the xvs 125 had 2 stock carbs, one per cylinder,you would gain a lot more power.

I'm wondering if the the xvs 400 manifold could somehow be adapted to the xvs 125...... Just wondering........

Maybe only Oldtimer could help but now he is busy with is new toy. LOL

• 7 years later...

Hi,

sorry to bring up this old topic but I have a question that is directly related to this.

Snooping around the net for methods to ugrade my xvs a bit I found this guide.

I followed all the instructions (even the filter) and the performance of my bike actually got worse...

I cant get it to do more than 55mph any more, even Full throttle downhill in 4th gear never gets me Up to 60 and whenever I shift into 5th, i slowly drop down to about 40. So now i constantly have to shift back and forth to maintain 55mph, cruising at 60 and downhill topspeeds of over indicatet 70 like other people achieved is absolutely impossible for me.

general info on my bike are:

14000km on the clock

open tndf60 ignition module

brand new oil/tyres/chain

compression strong and even on both cylinders

only gets 98 octane premium fuel

I weigh about 80kg, so shoudnt ne too heavy

only difference is that i run a custom exhaust (xvs 650 headers with xvs1100 bsm v-line silencers), so i figured that the 100 main jet might still be too lean, I moved up to 102,5 and got a Little improvement but still capped at 55 in 4th...plugs are still rather light, But a 105 jet would seem rather huge for that Little bike, or should I try it?

looking forward for some advice

Thanks alot :)

Sounds like its over geared ..drop a tooth on the front sprocket,,

Hi,

Yes, I have to hold it At full throttle in 4th, acceleration is good to about 40 and after that is slowly creeps to 50-55 and thats it in 5th i drop back to 40-45.

I took a look Art the needle, it only has two notches and was already fully raised so I left it how it was.

I also thought that it feels over geared, weird thing is other people seem to have great results with the 18t Front sprocket...however i odered a 17t just to Check if it gets better

So I just took a ride with the 17 tooth sprocket and there was no real improvement, just higher rpm.

if i accelerate every gear until it doesnt get any faster i Can reach just below 59 in 4th and it stays pinned there. Upshift to 5 and i slowly lose speed to about 50. slightest uphil and i max out at 45 At lower gear and high revs to maintain speed..

Yes you are right,stock is 16t. But given the fact that many other xvs 125 owners actually experienced a Performance gain with larger front sprockets, I decided to try a 17t first.
However, the bike feels best with the 18t sprocket, regardless of low speeds.
I discovered a "xv 125 virago power up" guide on another forum and since the engines are very similar and carb is the same except jetting I'm going to follow that guide.
It says to run 110 main jet, which seems huge, so I put a 105 in just to try and it actually improved performance.

I was able to make straight 60 mph in 4 gear for the first time and power drop in 5th is much less, all with the 18 front sprocket.

I also noticed my jet needle only has two notches, but whenever I read a thread on mikuni bds26 carb setup most people write things about at least 5 notches, is it possible that my needle isn't stock?
And should I try a 110 main jet or would that be too much ?

Tread carefully, by example the 1979 and 1980 dt175's engines are identical. Just ig system is different. On the actual bike they changed the airbox amongst other small changes. Depending on model the main jet varies by up to 50 points, yes from a 130 to a 180.

All engines run at a certain fuel ratio, the fuel also acts to cool the piston crown, you can get brave and run a leaner fuel mixture, that will give more power with no changes but your pistons will run hotter, you will also be riding harder to use the performance compounding the effect. Ultimately you could be riding into an engine sieze, I have done it, many others too. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online