Newbie . R1 PROBLEM

scoobystu
This post is 5894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all I'm new on so bare with me please . I recently purchased a 2001 R1 which is the mutts nuts and I love :D

Last week after a short ride out I came to start the bike after a short stop and the battery was dead . I subsequently had to bump it 3 or 4 times that day . I have a datatool Digi gear indicator which also stop working (instead of the gear I was in it kept showing me strange symbols or letters :blink: ) Then the gear indicater started working again and when I got home my battery was working and it all appeared normal .... I don't think that the gear indicator is in anyway involved it was just an indicator for when the battery was being charged or not ... Anyway the point is the next day I took my bike out for a run and after 20 minutes or so I pulled over and the battery was dead and it wouldn't charge again . I got it home hooked it up to the optimate and charged it up over night . All good . put my multimeter across the battery terminals and nothing ( only the battery ) I checked the rectifier and the spade connecter for the thick red wire was corroded and likewise the male connecter on the rectifier itself . I got a mate down on his R1 compared readings from my stator(alternator) to his and they were all good . I then fitted my rectifier to his bike and no charge was reaching his battery . BINGO!! ordered a new one fitted it today and 14.3 volts reaching the battery but it did get quite warm quite quick (is this normal) and then I fitted the old one and that was working too ;) Do these rectifiers/regulators pack up and behave irratically before they go completely .... thanks in advance ...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all I'm new on so bare with me please . I recently purchased a 2001 R1 which is the mutts nuts and I love :D

Last week after a short ride out I came to start the bike after a short stop and the battery was dead . I subsequently had to bump it 3 or 4 times that day . I have a datatool Digi gear indicator which also stop working (instead of the gear I was in it kept showing me strange symbols or letters :blink: ) Then the gear indicater started working again and when I got home my battery was working and it all appeared normal .... I don't think that the gear indicator is in anyway involved it was just an indicator for when the battery was being charged or not ... Anyway the point is the next day I took my bike out for a run and after 20 minutes or so I pulled over and the battery was dead and it wouldn't charge again . I got it home hooked it up to the optimate and charged it up over night . All good . put my multimeter across the battery terminals and nothing ( only the battery ) I checked the rectifier and the spade connecter for the thick red wire was corroded and likewise the male connecter on the rectifier itself . I got a mate down on his R1 compared readings from my stator(alternator) to his and they were all good . I then fitted my rectifier to his bike and no charge was reaching his battery . BINGO!! ordered a new one fitted it today and 14.3 volts reaching the battery but it did get quite warm quite quick (is this normal) and then I fitted the old one and that was working too ;) Do these rectifiers/regulators pack up and behave irratically before they go completely .... thanks in advance ...

it could be an intermitent short either an earth or a brake in the chargeing circuit (possibly where the wires run through the engine casing to the altanator) hope this might help mate!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online