Mysterious tube...

junker
This post is 5794 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am rebuilding an 88 FZ600. When i Got the bike it had no air filters or airbox. I have bought Independent cone filters for it, but i noticed something, a breather tube connects the two inner intake manifolds, but the two outer ones also have a hose, but with a three way connector linking it, there was nothing connected to this when i bought it, and i can't find it anywhere in the manual! What the heck does this thing connect to?!?!?!?! does it malfunction if it is left unconnected?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah, theres another parts schematic @ www.bikebandit.com, they all seem to be the same one, which doesn't show where the hose connects to, just that there is a hose present between the carbs, which i already know. :unsure:

I have a 1986 model with cone filters & being in England with less emision laws you can take the hoses off & put blanking plugs on the manifolds, just using the vacuum pipes for balancing the carbs. If anything you might find the bike performs better. You need to check the emision laws in whatever state you are in to find out if these pipes need to be connected to anything (instead of the airbox).

I have a 1986 model with cone filters & being in England with less emision laws you can take the hoses off & put blanking plugs on the manifolds, just using the vacuum pipes for balancing the carbs. If anything you might find the bike performs better. You need to check the emision laws in whatever state you are in to find out if these pipes need to be connected to anything (instead of the airbox).

thanks; i plugged the hole and left the tube on. I Got it Started With Ether, and she revved awesome! Then Stalls and died. So now i need help keeping it idled.....

thanks; i plugged the hole and left the tube on. I Got it Started With Ether, and she revved awesome! Then Stalls and died. So now i need help keeping it idled.....

have you cleaned out the carbs, no idle is usually blocked jets.

have you cleaned out the carbs, no idle is usually blocked jets.

GREAT! YES I DID CLEAN THE CARBS! I then started it and now it runs great, idles great, throttle response is great... but the breather filter thing atop the right clutch cover bubbles out oil!!!! i did recently add oil, did i add too much? The oil drips down the side and burns into smoke on the exhaust pipe... did you ever have this problem? it has been sitting for a long while, maybe it is just burning off old stuff