Stones in gas tank!!!

junker
This post is 5800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently bought an older (1988) Fz600 and brought it home and left it until i had more time to work on it. I forgot about the type of neighborhood i live in (not so good) it only took about a couple of weeks for me to hear voices of kids at night coming from around my bike. I scared them off, and now a few more weeks later, now that i have more time to work on it, i discover the bastards were shoving handfuls of pebbles in to my gas tank! I removed everything off it (petcock, cap, float and fuel level assembly) and have gotten the most of them out by trying to get them to roll over any of the three holes. Please help! ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't worry if you can't get them all out, they will just sit in the bottom of the tank. The important thing is to flush the tank out to ensure there is no other debris in there. When its clean, re-assemble it and ensure that you put a filter inline to the carb inlet.

Recently bought an older (1988) Fz600 and brought it home and left it until i had more time to work on it. I forgot about the type of neighborhood i live in (not so good) it only took about a couple of weeks for me to hear voices of kids at night coming from around my bike. I scared them off, and now a few more weeks later, now that i have more time to work on it, i discover the bastards were shoving handfuls of pebbles in to my gas tank! I removed everything off it (petcock, cap, float and fuel level assembly) and have gotten the most of them out by trying to get them to roll over any of the three holes. Please help! ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

i agree with yoda ,the fine dust will do more damage than the stone's, as well as flushing you could tape off one hole tape an air line to another and give it a blow through (out doors as fumes could be tricky!!!)

All right, thanks guys; i actually ended up getting the majority of them out today... i cut up some card paper, rolled it so it would unroll once inside the hole (to catch the damn rocks as they flew past every time i tilted it) and funneled them out the hole.

There is one last pebble that is stubborn, and thanks for the tip on the dust, i rinsed the tank out a few times and there was a ton of dirty drainage, it looked like rust was in there too... i filled it up with gas and got a cheap fuel filter on the way home (i figure why waste a good one if it will just get clogged soon with whatever is in there still?)