New Starter - Off Road - YZ85 BW or YZ125??

This post is 5797 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I'm 25 and have wanted an off road bike since a young lad.

I'm around 6 foot and 12-13 stone and physically fit.

I'm not sure on what bike to get.

I have noticed there is a YZ85 Big Wheel. Is this too small for someone of my size?

I cannot decide which bike to go for as a starter bike 125cc or 85cc BW? I will be mainly using the bike on Sundays, for fun, on off road trails and field's etc... nothing serious, not racing.

I have around a grand or so to spend so was looking at a 2000-2002 model.

Also do they require a lot of maintenance??

Sorry for all the questions, just want to know everthing before spending my money.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

first off you can,t just ride trails you have to road legal ,you do have a license .

secondly both bikes are wrong for you ,they are out and out race bikes high maintenance/running costs.

third point join a local club they can steer you in right direction,bikes for sale ,somewhere to ride.

bit negative i know, but what can you do you live britain.

first off you can,t just ride trails you have to road legal ,you do have a license .

secondly both bikes are wrong for you ,they are out and out race bikes high maintenance/running costs.

third point join a local club they can steer you in right direction,bikes for sale ,somewhere to ride.

bit negative i know, but what can you do you live britain.

I have a full drivers lisence, but no bike lisence.

I wish to only use the bike off road in the New Forest.

I have driven "Scramblers" before and do not wish to ride the bike on the roads. I will take it to destinations on a trailer.

I have a full drivers lisence, but no bike lisence.

I wish to only use the bike off road in the New Forest.

I have driven "Scramblers" before and do not wish to ride the bike on the roads. I will take it to destinations on a trailer.

If you're going to ride it in a public place, then you'll need to be properly Licensed, Taxed and Insured. Even the car park at Asda/Tesco/Morrisons etc, although it's privately owned is still a public place and you still need all the bits of paper. I'm not 100% about the New Forest, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark to say it's a public place.

You will need to do your CBT and then you'll be restricted to a road legal 125cc, that doesn't mean you have to live with a road bike dressed up to look like a dirt bike, there are plenty of 125 enduro bikes around.

Remember, wherever you ride, stick to the Green Lane Code - otherwise the bobble hat & Red Sock brigade will use it as more evidence to have bikes banished from the countryside (it's already happening in the Yorkshire Dales). There are around 2700 TRF members who are the only group standing up to the Ramblers Ass's with a membership of 13,000 (I could be way out on this, but it's still lots more than the bikers).

Enjoy your off road riding, it's true that Off Road Riders can't manage sportsbikes.

- It's because their balls are so big.. :chair:B)

Hi Guys,

I'm 25 and have wanted an off road bike since a young lad.

I'm around 6 foot and 12-13 stone and physically fit.

I'm not sure on what bike to get.

I have noticed there is a YZ85 Big Wheel. Is this too small for someone of my size?

I cannot decide which bike to go for as a starter bike 125cc or 85cc BW? I will be mainly using the bike on Sundays, for fun, on off road trails and field's etc... nothing serious, not racing.

I have around a grand or so to spend so was looking at a 2000-2002 model.

Also do they require a lot of maintenance??

Sorry for all the questions, just want to know everthing before spending my money.

Thanks for the help

Mike

personally id go for the YZ mate but its your bike you choose

personally id go for the YZ mate but its your bike you choose

Which one the 85 Big wheel or the 125??

Thanks for all the info above.

I thought I could just buy an offroad bike and use it offroad without any paper work etc...

I will look into getting all the red tape stuff sorted, not just going out tomorrow buy one and rag it around willy-nilly pissing everyone off.

That's why I came on here to get the advice I needed before buying one.

Cheers Guys

If you're going to ride it in a public place, then you'll need to be properly Licensed, Taxed and Insured. Even the car park at Asda/Tesco/Morrisons etc, although it's privately owned is still a public place and you still need all the bits of paper. I'm not 100% about the New Forest, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark to say it's a public place.

You will need to do your CBT and then you'll be restricted to a road legal 125cc, that doesn't mean you have to live with a road bike dressed up to look like a dirt bike, there are plenty of 125 enduro bikes around.

Remember, wherever you ride, stick to the Green Lane Code - otherwise the bobble hat & Red Sock brigade will use it as more evidence to have bikes banished from the countryside (it's already happening in the Yorkshire Dales). There are around 2700 TRF members who are the only group standing up to the Ramblers Ass's with a membership of 13,000 (I could be way out on this, but it's still lots more than the bikers).

Enjoy your off road riding, it's true that Off Road Riders can't manage sportsbikes.

- It's because their balls are so big.. :chair:B)

Does that mean your not allowed to ride round on YZ's as they are not road legal?

I wanted specifically a motox bike to use in woods etc...

I don't want to ride on the roads at all. I would get a trailer to take my bike off road.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online