air filter for xs400d

mtnmason
This post is 5820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all,

just bought my first bike so I will have some questions for you experts out there as I tweak the bike to perfection. I am the proud owner of a '77 xs400d with a little less than 6000 miles on it. it has sat in storage for about the past 15-20 years. it only needs a few minor things before I can put it on the road this fall. first off- can anyone recommend new air filters for this bike. i would like to put some K&N style filters on but only if they will fit under the original cover. if anyone can send me some info I would greatly appreciate it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Air filters are you last problem.

You need to change the oil everywhere and clean and flush the whole fuel system. Any hydraulics need to be serviced and new tyres (tires) fitted. You need to have it checked out by a serious mechanic to make sure its safe.

Now you can ride it to the sky!!

Air filters are you last problem.

You need to change the oil everywhere and clean and flush the whole fuel system. Any hydraulics need to be serviced and new tyres (tires) fitted. You need to have it checked out by a serious mechanic to make sure its safe.

Now you can ride it to the sky!!

thanks yoda, i have done all those things you mentioned (except changing the tires - thats next). i am working on the brakes right now. when i took apart the air filter box the cloth material was corroded (i was afraid of tiny bits getting sucked into the carbs/engine) so i removed them altogether. now i cant even start the bike to run it into shape until i get some different air cleaners. all of the aftermarket filters that i am finding on ebay claim to fit '78-'79 models but not the '77. any help out there?

thanks yoda, i have done all those things you mentioned (except changing the tires - thats next). i am working on the brakes right now. when i took apart the air filter box the cloth material was corroded (i was afraid of tiny bits getting sucked into the carbs/engine) so i removed them altogether. now i cant even start the bike to run it into shape until i get some different air cleaners. all of the aftermarket filters that i am finding on ebay claim to fit '78-'79 models but not the '77. any help out there?

you can still get the filters, try bikebandit and motogrid first

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online