1980 XS 250

DirtboxDan
This post is 5820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi -

I'm new on here and looking for some info on a 1980 XS 250. I've bought this ole' thing with intentions of restoring it back to new/original condition - it seems pretty complete, and apart from not running since 1986 doesn't seem in bad nick. I've spent a few hours looking through the net but there doesn't seem to be much info on this particular model, or XS 250's in general.

Front disc, rear drum - it's not the US custom/cruiser type or the square one! niether is the model launched in 1980 which had the typical modernistic 80's styling!!! ( any of that make sense?) As far as I know it's a UK spec bike. I've read a few conflicting things about what was made and when it was changed etc.

If I knew how to post a photo on here I would!!!!!! so this is the best I can do.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110260037679

Any info or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

looks like the 6N (top of my head) model which was an update between the older style xs's and the dohc. these were maily sold in germany. you will have rear sets and a rubber mounted engine along with slightly modified seat, tail, tank and oil sight glass. everything else with be as per haynes (they have an addendum at the back for the differences with your model)

looks like the 6N (top of my head) model which was an update between the older style xs's and the dohc. these were maily sold in germany. you will have rear sets and a rubber mounted engine along with slightly modified seat, tail, tank and oil sight glass. everything else with be as per haynes (they have an addendum at the back for the differences with your model)

There's no oil sight glass! got a dipstick. Seperate air filter boxes and lever type carbs, doesn't appear to have a rubber mounted engine either.

I guess there's dozens of different variations - I just thought the different models would have been documented a little better. There must be dealer info etc out there somewhere. I've got it running anyway - just be nice to know exactly what model it is.

thanks for the reply- cheers,

Dan

There's no oil sight glass! got a dipstick. Seperate air filter boxes and lever type carbs, doesn't appear to have a rubber mounted engine either.

I guess there's dozens of different variations - I just thought the different models would have been documented a little better. There must be dealer info etc out there somewhere. I've got it running anyway - just be nice to know exactly what model it is.

thanks for the reply- cheers,

Dan

looking at the hayes manual it looks like you have 3n6 or the later 4a2 model.

changes were;

larger fuel tank

seat height reduced

rearsets

swingarm lengthened

spring; revised rates front and rear

stearing lock on ignition

revised ignition coil

rest were cosmetics

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online