XS400 wiring issues

joecool85
This post is 5896 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1982 XS400S w/XJ550 front clip (it came to me this way). When I hit the rear brake the headlight dims and the turn signal indicator (in pod, not the turn signals themselves) lights up dimly. What does this mean? I would assume there is a short somewhere?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1982 XS400S w/XJ550 front clip (it came to me this way). When I hit the rear brake the headlight dims and the turn signal indicator (in pod, not the turn signals themselves) lights up dimly. What does this mean? I would assume there is a short somewhere?

its an poor earth problem, the earthing is finding a way through the headlamp and to the idicator, making a circuit for them to operate.

start witht the rear black wires and clean the connections and earth straps

its an poor earth problem, the earthing is finding a way through the headlamp and to the idicator, making a circuit for them to operate.

start witht the rear black wires and clean the connections and earth straps

Alright, that would make sense, I'll check that out.

I am trying to do some wiring on my 79' xs400, but when i turn the key and hit the left signal, their is a clicking sound(light doesn't go on either) does anybody have any ideas?

I am trying to do some wiring on my 79' xs400, but when i turn the key and hit the left signal, their is a clicking sound(light doesn't go on either) does anybody have any ideas?

That's what I get when I cross the wires that are suppose to fire the brake light off the front brake - I think it's a bad relay.

do you have to use indicators on the bike?

junk them as the cafe racer style will look better

do you have to use indicators on the bike?

junk them as the cafe racer style will look better

I do need to use them still, i picked the bike up for $50, didnt run at the start

got it running and all now im tryin to figure out the wiring (it's gonna kill me) so i need everything to pass a safety, also headlight does not seem to go on

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online