Help with YZ250 repair

This post is 5841 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, apologies for making my first post a somewhat trivial request......but I'm about to start repairs on my 1992 YZ250 and I seriously need some pointers.......

I bought the bike last year and had problems from the start......the bike ran great but would die after an hour or so of use........spark plug was visably badly affected by cardon damage.......new spark plug and iit was flying again, before the same happened again after an hour or so......I think I was using the right fuel/oil mix, but it might have been wrong.

Anyhow - the bike has been sat for 12 months now and I finally have enough spare time to devote to getting it going again.

I've got the correct manual which will hopefully guide me through my DIY repairs/servicing, but what steps should I be taking before attempting to start a bike that has been sat in the cold for 12 months?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve :)

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, apologies for making my first post a somewhat trivial request......but I'm about to start repairs on my 1992 YZ250 and I seriously need some pointers.......

I bought the bike last year and had problems from the start......the bike ran great but would die after an hour or so of use........spark plug was visably badly affected by cardon damage.......new spark plug and iit was flying again, before the same happened again after an hour or so......I think I was using the right fuel/oil mix, but it might have been wrong.

Anyhow - the bike has been sat for 12 months now and I finally have enough spare time to devote to getting it going again.

I've got the correct manual which will hopefully guide me through my DIY repairs/servicing, but what steps should I be taking before attempting to start a bike that has been sat in the cold for 12 months?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve :)

ive just logged on so if you still have bike ive got a 1991 model the recomended petrol/2 stroke ratio is 32/1 i.e 5litres petrol to 150 mls 2stroke i would personally drain all fluids oil/water/etc and remove the barrel renew piston rings/piston if history unkown maybe a light coat of two stroke on the barrel before reassembly, and take it easy for a hour minimum when riding 2/3 rds throttle and make sure you use semi synthetic 2 stroke oil/fully synthetic too much oil will foul plug every time also dont leave choke on longer than neccesary hope this helps. if your plug fouls up have a look at the needle position in the carb according to clymer manual the further down it is the leaner your mixture will be i think there are 5 positions and it should be in the third or fouth position as standard.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online