xvs / dragstar rev counter / tacho

danster
This post is 5701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

afternoon all, anyone got or fitted a tacho / rev counter to a dragstar?

am thinking of fitting one myself but wasn't sure if anyone had a recommendation or horror story

thanks, dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 4 weeks later...

Which Dragstar? 125/650/1100?

Whats your reason for wanting to do this then?

hi goff,

was going to say 650 (current) but now i think it'll be the 1100 (hopefully later this week)

not sure if its my riding style or a 4 stroke thing but i like to know where i am in the range and whats left - i know we can all tell (once we know the engine) where we are in the range but i like having it there at a glance.

i still want to do the same few things to a drag star but it looks to all be up in the air over this 1100 i hope to get this week, i thought if i was going to make a long term project out of one i may as well find an 1100 and start from there...

thanks, dan

I have never fitted one and i donmt know of any that have been fitted.

If you wanna go down the path of odding your bike - as i am - then i can possibly help you out. I am in touch with the guy who owns this beauty:

fs_pearlharbor1.jpg

fs_pearlharbor3.jpg

Piccies arent great but this is what he's done to it:

Seats re-covered. Forward controls. Snake exhaust. Solid s/s rear wheel, Snake eye headlight. Boomerang handlebars. Billet ally leavers. Hypercharger, etc etc, too many to list here atm!

Custom cruisers have some great stuff - but they are damned expensive. Shop around a bit or PM me and ill send you some details of bike places inthe US that i get my gear from if u like.

I have never fitted one and i donmt know of any that have been fitted.

If you wanna go down the path of odding your bike - as i am - then i can possibly help you out. I am in touch with the guy who owns this beauty:

fs_pearlharbor1.jpg

fs_pearlharbor3.jpg

Piccies arent great but this is what he's done to it:

Seats re-covered. Forward controls. Snake exhaust. Solid s/s rear wheel, Snake eye headlight. Boomerang handlebars. Billet ally leavers. Hypercharger, etc etc, too many to list here atm!

Custom cruisers have some great stuff - but they are damned expensive. Shop around a bit or PM me and ill send you some details of bike places inthe US that i get my gear from if u like.

nice one, thanks again goff! seems like you and i might be the only people on here ALL the time ;-)

handy to know about the mods on that bike, im pretty set on the short version of the snake exhaust and forward controls, not sure from there but im kind of aiming towards the bobber / chopper look (i'm still new to this so probably getting the names for most things wrong) so its good to see some of the same mods on other machines

im just about to cave and do the deal on this 1100 (dealer just will not give on the price) so hopefully get that later this week, rip the bits off i dont want (might get some cash back for those which is whats justifying me not being able to get the price down!) and then start to tweak it from there

im just like a child though, all excited at getting the new bike and then playing with it!!

dan

nice one, thanks again goff! seems like you and i might be the only people on here ALL the time ;-)

Thats because i have no life..... :lol:

handy to know about the mods on that bike, im pretty set on the short version of the snake exhaust and forward controls, not sure from there but im kind of aiming towards the bobber / chopper look (i'm still new to this so probably getting the names for most things wrong) so its good to see some of the same mods on other machines

im just about to cave and do the deal on this 1100 (dealer just will not give on the price) so hopefully get that later this week, rip the bits off i dont want (might get some cash back for those which is whats justifying me not being able to get the price down!) and then start to tweak it from there

im just like a child though, all excited at getting the new bike and then playing with it!!

dan

This is another that came up for sale a few weeks back. This one is a 650 - if i had had £4950 ida snapped his hand off:

fs_ianmorgan3.jpg

fs_ianmorgan2.jpg

fs_ianmorgan1.jpg

Yamaha V-Star 650 2003. built by Moonshine Steel in Pine Knot, Kentucky. Just under 3,000 miles on the bike. The neck has been raked 40 degrees and a set of 6 degree Triple T’s added. ‘Forking by Frank’ of provided the 4 inch over stock 41mm fork tubes. 60 Spoke chrome 21inch front wheel. Rear suspension lowered by repositioning the shock mount . Sits at about 4 inch ride height and seat is at about 20 inches. The custom steel rear fender is attached to custom made brackets giving it that low tyre hugging look. 18 inch 1.25 diameter Apehangers with internal electrical wiring.

Maltese Cross mirrors, turn signals and tail light on billet side mount for licence plate, all LED plus a Cobra Rocket Headlight. Hard Chrome 2.5 inch big straights exhaust system, Mapam forward controls and custom seat.

Now THAT is what i call a NICE Dragstar ;)

Thats because i have no life..... :lol:

This is another that came up for sale a few weeks back. This one is a 650 - if i had had £4950 ida snapped his hand off:

fs_ianmorgan3.jpg

fs_ianmorgan2.jpg

fs_ianmorgan1.jpg

Yamaha V-Star 650 2003. built by Moonshine Steel in Pine Knot, Kentucky. Just under 3,000 miles on the bike. The neck has been raked 40 degrees and a set of 6 degree Triple T’s added. ‘Forking by Frank’ of provided the 4 inch over stock 41mm fork tubes. 60 Spoke chrome 21inch front wheel. Rear suspension lowered by repositioning the shock mount . Sits at about 4 inch ride height and seat is at about 20 inches. The custom steel rear fender is attached to custom made brackets giving it that low tyre hugging look. 18 inch 1.25 diameter Apehangers with internal electrical wiring.

Maltese Cross mirrors, turn signals and tail light on billet side mount for licence plate, all LED plus a Cobra Rocket Headlight. Hard Chrome 2.5 inch big straights exhaust system, Mapam forward controls and custom seat.

Now THAT is what i call a NICE Dragstar ;)

that is cool but crikey, i think i might have to hire you as my research assistant or something!

the lights, fenders, paint and number plate mount are all pretty much my first choices at the moment! that style of exhaust or maybe that but slash cut is probably second choice at the moment.

still undecided on bars, i think i like the straight style but which ever set i go for it'll definately be with as much hidden wires / cabling as possible, and anything left on show hopefully tied to things to hide (but thinking there is surely a reason i always see the brake / speedo cables visible) with grips, mirrors and switch / mountings no clue yet.

i'd also like to lower it but need to work all that out with the rake/front end and forward controls - the bike needs to be a daily rider ideally and be able to take pillion, although dont mind if i need to whip the sissy bars on / off for that one as i prefer the look without.

all sounds great, and its getting towards my dream budget version of an OCC production type bike - but also sounds expensive!!! i bet there are a million OCC wannabees like me roaming around - i'll just have to hide behind the billions of mid life crisis harley riders ;-)