virago 535 loss of power

Dood
This post is 2404 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my 93' 535 and am completely hopeless when it comes to fault diagnosis so i wondered if anyone out there could help?

Last night while riding home i seemed to lose power, when trying to get to 70/75 mph the bike would not go over 65 (usually no problem reaching 85/90 :rolleyes: ) thinking back it did seem a bit sluggish during the earlier part of my journey but not enough to cause me any concern, I gave it another try this morning and managed to get to 70 after some trying, but when it got there I still had a third of the throttle left so i opened it up and took it to fully open without any change of speed at all and not much change in engine noise. I haven't checked the usual things like plugs carbs etc due to time constraints so i just wondered if any suggestion were on offer as to possible causes? Am i running on one cylinder or is it something more simple than that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

First ever post on here, love the club and the people here seem really cool (cept that carzy arsed harley dood) :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my 93' 535 and am completely hopeless when it comes to fault diagnosis so i wondered if anyone out there could help?

Last night while riding home i seemed to lose power, when trying to get to 70/75 mph the bike would not go over 65 (usually no problem reaching 85/90 :rolleyes: ) thinking back it did seem a bit sluggish during the earlier part of my journey but not enough to cause me any concern, I gave it another try this morning and managed to get to 70 after some trying, but when it got there I still had a third of the throttle left so i opened it up and took it to fully open without any change of speed at all and not much change in engine noise. I haven't checked the usual things like plugs carbs etc due to time constraints so i just wondered if any suggestion were on offer as to possible causes? Am i running on one cylinder or is it something more simple than that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

First ever post on here, love the club and the people here seem really cool (cept that carzy arsed harley dood) :D

Have you checked the throttle cable isnt too slack? May not be pulling enough to use all the slack cable. To check if your running one cylinder, start her up , put hand NEAR the engine on both sides...if it is running on one, one will be cold. Youll notice pretty much straight away though.

Welcome to the fray! There could be a number of things wrong with the bike, its just a matter of working through them.

First thing to do without causing yourself injury is to get the bike hot and when it starts to be limited, find out if there is one cylinder cooler than the other. This can be done buy checking the exhaust pipes. That will tell you if one of the cylinders is not firing.

Anothing thing to do is check that fuel is gettting to the carbs and that no filters are blocked. Next take out the spark plugs and put new ones in. After or before all of that , check all of the oil levels and ensure they are correct.

Come back here when you have done all of that.

Have you checked the throttle cable isnt too slack? May not be pulling enough to use all the slack cable. To check if your running one cylinder, start her up , put hand NEAR the engine on both sides...if it is running on one, one will be cold. Youll notice pretty much straight away though.

Thanks Live, i've already done that and both are hot so that helps me loads

Welcome to the fray! There could be a number of things wrong with the bike, its just a matter of working through them.

First thing to do without causing yourself injury is to get the bike hot and when it starts to be limited, find out if there is one cylinder cooler than the other. This can be done buy checking the exhaust pipes. That will tell you if one of the cylinders is not firing.

Anothing thing to do is check that fuel is gettting to the carbs and that no filters are blocked. Next take out the spark plugs and put new ones in. After or before all of that , check all of the oil levels and ensure they are correct.

Come back here when you have done all of that.

and thanks to you too yoda i will check the pipes tonight then go through the rest at the weekend :)

hi guys,

well both of the pipes and cylinders are hot throughout the ride so it's obviously not a cylinder prob, i noticed last night that it is now happening at all speeds! it has been suggested that it may be a fuel supply prob so i guess i'll have to go the the fuel system and give it a damn good clean. so thanks for your advice. i'll return with some good news after this weekend (hopefully lol) thanks once again.

Gary

Hi Gary

You might want to have a close look at the rubber diaphrams in the carbs as they do tend to perish and that would account for the loss of power. Have had to replace both of mine over the last couple of years. If they seem a bit stiff try rubbing in some petroleum jelly, don't worry about it being sucked into the engine as it will just burn off.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to offer my thanks for all the advice given on this question, and apologise for not replying sooner (seems like my month for technical problems as my pc went awol on me) i spent 3 days going over the bike including taking the carbs out stripping them and giving them a good clean, i replaced them and found the problem still existed so last weekend i put my bike in for repair and the mechanic has told me that it is slightly low on compression (he said it is showing 120psi and should be 140psi) he now wants me to "throw loads of money at it" to get it running properly which i'm not prepared to do without a second opinion so unfortunately the news is not good at the moment :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

How are getting on with this? did you get a second opinion?

R4 I have not gotten a second opinion as yet purely for financial reasons as whoever looks at it next is going to want £45-£50+VAT to even look at it so for now i have no option but to leave it and do a bit of overtime at work then put it in next payday :mellow: kinda makes me wish i'd paid attention in my youth lol. Any ideas on this problem? i'm starting to think carbon build up may be the cause, i've looked about the web quite a bit and it does seem to be a recurring theme in loss of compression and power.

Hope the overtime comes quickly and pays lots for you.

I am by no means great with mechanical problems but figured I would throw in. Perhaps the valves are the issue here, perhaps they need seating correctly (if that is the correct term).

Like I say just my 2p worth.

Good Luck

R

Hope the overtime comes quickly and pays lots for you.

I am by no means great with mechanical problems but figured I would throw in. Perhaps the valves are the issue here, perhaps they need seating correctly (if that is the correct term).

Like I say just my 2p worth.

Good Luck

R

I think you could well be right about that hence to 500+ quid the mechanic wanted to sort the problem out. i have managed to arrange other means of transport now so i can take a little time to resolve this without rushing it and wasting too much money on it. Thanks for your input, anything that helps to lead to a solution is greatly appreciated.

G

• 1 year later...

I have the 1988 Virage 535 and just had the problem talked about above.

Seems to have lost the top end of each gear and now unable to go above 70 - I have had it up to 95 ish previously!

Does anyone have the answer to this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the exact same problem - and it is now back to its full potential.

(from not a technical speaking person)

The rubber in the diaphragm on the carburettor had gotten old and fallen apart (mine 22 years old).

To fix it cost me just over £200 that was £73 + VAT for each diaphragm and £40 + VAT labour.

I wasn't able to do it myself as you need a special star like screw and a newbie for playing with bikes.

This is for anyone searching for this problem as I was searching for an answer.

Joshua - I tried the valve clearances and timings - ran a little smoother but no success until the above.

Regards

I had the exact same problem - and it is now back to its full potential.

(from not a technical speaking person)

The rubber in the diaphragm on the carburettor had gotten old and fallen apart (mine 22 years old).

To fix it cost me just over £200 that was £73 + VAT for each diaphragm and £40 + VAT labour.

I wasn't able to do it myself as you need a special star like screw and a newbie for playing with bikes.

Regards

With mine was the same I have a 93 xv535... it was like riding a 125cc bike , and after the diaphragm got change it sorted it out, I got carbs clean and balanced as well at the same time ... cost me £85 inc for each diaphragm plus labour £60... its perfect now

... cost me £85 inc for each diaphragm plus labour £60...

HOW MUCH???? Where do these gold-plated diaphragms come from? How does £32 each sound? Clicky link to NRP Yam page

As for the star-shaped screwdrivers - Halfords Torx Screwdriver sets - £20 and you're sorted. £15 for a Hyenas book of random numbers and you've still saved 100-odd on the one job, with tools and books available for further work......

• 2 years later...

Looks like some one has a grudge against Carb diaphrams :biglaugha:

This post is 2404 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.