Leaking fork seal, 83 xs400

Chicken
This post is 5824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So yet more misadventures regarding my old faithful! I was out cruising around today and noticed that one of my fork seals is leaking. I'm a female but not totally helpless (i.e I can change the oil and perform most maintenance on my Blazer), but I have no idea how fork seals work on a bike and how to replace them. Is this an easy thing? Or shall I call my mechanic? The mechanic who did some work on this bike before was cool, but I can tell he doesn't think the bike is worth any effort. Help!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So yet more misadventures regarding my old faithful! I was out cruising around today and noticed that one of my fork seals is leaking. I'm a female but not totally helpless (i.e I can change the oil and perform most maintenance on my Blazer), but I have no idea how fork seals work on a bike and how to replace them. Is this an easy thing? Or shall I call my mechanic? The mechanic who did some work on this bike before was cool, but I can tell he doesn't think the bike is worth any effort. Help!!!

It depends on a lot of things. Mine were a pain in the butt because the dust covers over the seals were dry rotted and the seals themselves had literally "fused" themselves to the lower fork legs through corrosion. I ended up scarring the side walls a little where the seal sits in the lower fork leg and had to repair that first (thank you mr. JB WELD).

The seal basically keeps the fork oil from pushing out of the lower fork leg by sealing (ok no brainer there) around the inner rim of the lower fork leg and then "squeegeeing" the oil off of the upper fork tube as it travels back up when rebounding.

I think if your mechanically inclined, have a good repair manual, the right tools, and are generally patient, you can do this job. Certainly the best way for you to learn about your bike is by doing it yourself.

Incidentally this job doesn't vary much from bike to bike so you might be able to find someone close by that can help you the first time out. Someone who has had some experience with this job even if on a different bike.

Hope that helps. :)