electrical problem 81' xs 400

bmiracle
This post is 5819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

recently I replaced the instrument cluster on the bike and everything work out great. Then about a week later I turned the ignition on and nothing happened. turned it on and off a few times and then finally got power (to the neutral indicator and instrument cluster). Them on the next outing tried it again same thing, no power to the instrument cluster. wiggled the wires in the headlight and suddenly got it to work, but now wiggling the wires does work. any suggestions as to what to check. I recently replace the ignition switch and the battery.

thanks

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had this happen to me over the weekend. It turned out to be the fuse wire lugs under the seat for the ignition. I tried squeezing the fuse first with the key turned, and it made contact. Then I thought I would clean the fuse contact, and both lugs broke like dried twigs popping the fuse out. Since my bike is also an 81 400, you may want to check that if you haven't found a problem yet.

If you replaced the ignition switch with a used one, check and clean all the contacts for the switch. I have now had both of these issues with this bike, and have only had it a few months.