Xj600 problems ticking and rattle :)

Alex kirk
This post is 5760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello i have recently brought a new engine of ebay for my xj600s bike which i spent £340 on it. which has done only 8,000 miles well thats what it said not that i think so. installed the engine started it up ran fine abset for the clutch rattle installed a very good oil filter and fresh oil took it for a spin on motorway and it seemed to be fine. The next day went to work on it which is about 19miles and i notested when i got ther it was ticking quite loudly and rattleing :(.Any ideas what i should do. it is still in warrenty but will cost me £100 to post back so i can send the engine back or i could sell the whole bike and buy a new one which is a bit of a shame.

Many Thanks Alex

Sorry for any bad spellings :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just reread post, i thought it was the xj600 pre divi, cam chain should be same but not sure if tappets are hydraulic or not, if they are then they should be quiet.

The ticking noise could be the valve train which is a good sign as when they wear the gap gets smaller and you cant hear it ticking, thats when i would worry. The rattling is possibly cam chain needs adjusting, it is self adjusting but they sometimes need a little help. Other than that cant think of anything, hope it helps.

Just reread post, i thought it was the xj600 pre divi, cam chain should be same but not sure if tappets are hydraulic or not, if they are then they should be quiet.

The ticking noise could be the valve train which is a good sign as when they wear the gap gets smaller and you cant hear it ticking, thats when i would worry. The rattling is possibly cam chain needs adjusting, it is self adjusting but they sometimes need a little help. Other than that cant think of anything, hope it helps.

Hello ok thank you will check out the cam chain it only seems to tick when hot which would suggest its shims but cant see shims needing replaceing on a engine that has only done 8,000 miles so it could be valve train .will have to just see if it goes Away The valves are springed

Many thanks Alex

Another thing to check for a ticking sound is a leaking exhaust gasket

Yes that is a very good idea. Did not think of that would explain why it was not doing it be for and is now will do the nuts up more since i did not do them to tight.

Many Thanks Alex

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online